Continous Screen Blinking on XPS 15 L502

Question

• I have installed Win8 Dev Preview on Dell XPS 15 L502 laptop. Config is as follows:

Intel Core i7 2nd Gen,

6GB RAM

Nvidia 525 Graphics with Optimus technology.

When Win8 installs by default at that time it does not recognize the graphics driver for Nvidia but it does recognize it for Intel HD Graphics which works just fine.

With Windows Updates automatically downloading drivers, it automatically updates the Intel HD Graphics driver to WDDM 1.2. The moment this happens, the Login screen keeps blinking on and off, so you can't even login into the system again since it also resets the mouse position and anything that is typed in the password textbox. In fact the only way to shut down the system is to hold the power button down till it shuts down compeletely, since the cursor position is reset after every blink.

I wanted to disable the driver, but I can't find any Safe Mode to boot into and disable the driver. The Metro Boot options are useless if you want to uninstall a single driver! Eventually I was able to find out a way to boot in safe mode using a TechNet article and disable the driver. But that does not seem like a permanent solution.  If I remove the driver from Device manager on next boot its added automatically and the same problem occurs. Any ideas on what may be the issue?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:48 AM

Answers

• Hey Rajnish Raj,

If you are able to still use this computer while the screen is blinking, try visiting your computer manufacturer's website to download the latest video drivers for your computer. Once you have the drivers installed, try installing the drivers.

If the driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, October 03, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

• You can hide the Windows update for the driver and then Windows Update won't offer it to you again unless you choose to restore it.
    Here's how to hide an update:

1. Click on Control Panel

2. Then click on More Desktop Settings:
      Click on Windows Updates.
      Next, Review your update history.
      To remove an update, see Installed Updates.  
    3. Do one of the following:

• Click the link that tells you important updates are available if you have important updates to hide.

• Click the link that tells you optional updates are available if you have optional updates to hide.

4. Select any update that you want to hide, right-click it, and then click Hide update. Do this for each update you want to hide.

5. Click OK.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:04 AM
  • I am also facing the same problem. But, in my case it didn't installed any new version of intel hd graphics. It is using the driver that came with OS itself. For the first time it was working fine. But, after resarting the system its continuously blinking at login page. Its resetting the page every time. I am having intel core i7 2.0 ghz processor with nvidia 540m 2gb graphics card. Please help!!!!!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hey Rajnish Raj,

If you are able to still use this computer while the screen is blinking, try visiting your computer manufacturer's website to download the latest video drivers for your computer. Once you have the drivers installed, try installing the drivers.

If the driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, October 03, 2011 8:40 PM