none
[UWP][RS5:1809]UWP - GetMusicPropertiesAsync return truncated OGG tag.

Question

• Hello,

Since I've updated my Windows to last version 1809, the function GetMusicPropertiesAsync() returns truncate value (25 or 26 chars) for each tag : title, artist, album, genre, etc...

Example with a FLAC File with Title and Album = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456789 (verified with Mp3Tag software).

In my UWP application, Title and Album = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

var properties = await _storageFile.Properties.GetMusicPropertiesAsync();
    track.Title = properties.Title;
    track.Album = properties.Album;

Is there something wrong with this new update ?

Groove, Windows Media player and FileExplorer seems to displays truncated tags too.

Thanks

Monday, October 15, 2018 4:28 PM

All replies

• Since I've updated my Windows to last version 1809, the function GetMusicPropertiesAsync() returns truncate value (25 or 26 chars) for each tag : title, artist, album, genre, etc...
    Example with a FLAC File with Title and Album = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456789 (*verified with Mp3Tag software*).
    Groove, Windows Media player and FileExplorer seems to displays truncated tags too.

Is this just reproducible for you with FLAC format files, do any other types exhibit this issue?

Dave

Monday, October 15, 2018 8:53 PM
  • Yes, the problem is only with FLAC Tags.

This is two sample file : one MP3, and one Flac, with (normally) same tags. File explorer or .Net get properties return truncated tag like my screenshot.

I try on the previous Windows 10 version, and all is fine.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:36 AM
  • >Yes, the problem is only with FLAC Tags.

OK, I can confirm the same behaviour with a FLAC file on the current latest Insider build (18252).

All I can suggest is that you report it using the Win10 Feedback hub - hopefully with the recent issues they'll now start reading
    ones that don't get any votes from now on.

If you let me know where you file it and the title you use, I'll try to find it in the Feedback Hub and up vote it.

Dave

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:44 AM
  • So, I open a bug in the feedback application.

Title : FLAC tags are truncated in Windows 10 1809.

Thanks.

Mickaël

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 6:50 PM
  • So, I open a bug in the feedback application.
    Title : FLAC tags are truncated in Windows 10 1809.

Hi Mickaël,

As is often the case with the Feedback Hole, despite knowing the title text you used, I can't find your report; however, I have
    found a couple of others which look to be the same problem:

"the title of flac files is limited to a small number of characters but unlimited numbers"

"FLAC files infos and details are cut/incomplete (such as "Madonna - What it feels like for a G" - instead of Girl) in Groove Music
    and File Explorer"

If you just enter "FLAC" in the FH search box and sort for "Most recent", they may show up for you too - I suggest that you vote
    those up too.

I'll keep checking for your report in the hope it shows up for me eventually.

Thanks
    Dave

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

I could reproduce this problem and I have reported this to the team via our internal channel.

Thank you for reporting this here.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

The team has done some work in the insider preview for this issue. You could updates your OS version to insider preview and check this again.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:56 AM
  • >The team has done some work in the insider preview for this issue. You could updates your OS version to insider preview and check this again.

I don't see any difference with insider Build 18267. It'd be good to know which version this work will appear in.

Dave

Monday, October 29, 2018 9:51 AM
  • The team has done some work in the insider preview for this issue. You could updates your OS version to insider preview and check this again.

I don't see any difference with insider Build 18267. It'd be good to know which version this work will appear in.

Build 18282 seems to be OK.

Dave

Friday, November 16, 2018 4:17 PM
  • I have highly organized and thoroughly tagged .flac library and did not have any problems with metadata character length limits until I installed the 1809 version of Windows 10 Pro (64-bit). Now I appear to be limited to 25/26 characters for Title, Album, and likely other fields.  I sure hope that my metadata is intact and only being truncated in the GUI.  Is this only affecting .flac file types?  How does this change from one Windows build to another?  I would like to be notified when a fix is available.  Is this still an active bug or problem being investigated?

Thank you, Mike W.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:08 AM
  • I have two PC's; one that is running Windows 10 Pro Build 1803 (64-bit) and a brand new clean build running Windows 10 Pro Build 1809 (64-bit). My music library, which  consists of 100% .flac files, resides on a QNAP NAS. I have just confirmed that my metadata is intact, which is great news!  I can see it all from the 1803 build PC, but metadata shown on my 1809 PC is truncated at 25 or 26 characters. 

I updated metadata tags tonight with some new music I just downloaded from OnkyoMusic.com and even though I made the changes on the 1809 build (where it trunactes) when I look at the files from the 1803 build it is all there. So it appears that this is simply a truncation in what the 1809 build GUI will show you, but the files are not being affected. 

I hope we will see a fix for this soon from Microsoft. Good to know for now that it is superficial.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:37 AM
  • Hello,

It's not a simply GUI truncate. If you edit FLAC tags with the File Explorer, tags will be truncated...
    In this case, the OS will corrupt your FLAC files, it's an important bug.

I just tested again editing a FLAC tag with values of more than 25 characters and the bug still exists.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:57 AM