none
Windows Installer Question RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi,
    I have an application that I use Windows Installer to install it.
    In the Deployment Project Properties I have set Detect Newer Installed Version to True, and
    Remove Previous Version to True.
    My thinking is that when installing my latest version it will remove and replace the older version if it is allready installed on the target PC, that appears to not be working. Whenever I install where an older version is, the installer will run fine, complete the install, but does not replace the old .exe file.
    I must be missing a setting here.
    How do I get the windows installer to remove and replace the older version?
    Thanks For any Help.
    Jeff
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hey,
    Its me again. After some grueling in-depth R&D and analysis of this deep coding issue I have solved it. You(I) need to change the version in the installer properties, which then changes the Product Code, set Remove PreviousVersions  to True, and on then windows installer will remove any older versions of the app, Wow.
    Time to clean up all these pizza boxes and empty coke cans.
    Jeff
    • Marked as answer by Hooper Friday, August 8, 2008 7:46 PM
    Friday, August 8, 2008 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hey,
    Its me again. After some grueling in-depth R&D and analysis of this deep coding issue I have solved it. You(I) need to change the version in the installer properties, which then changes the Product Code, set Remove PreviousVersions  to True, and on then windows installer will remove any older versions of the app, Wow.
    Time to clean up all these pizza boxes and empty coke cans.
    Jeff
    • Marked as answer by Hooper Friday, August 8, 2008 7:46 PM
    Friday, August 8, 2008 7:46 PM
  • There's a ClickOnce and Setup&Deployment forum under Windows Forms - that's a better place for this type of setup project question .
    Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
    Monday, August 11, 2008 7:53 PM