Can't find the new Azure Blob Cold Archive tier when creating a new storage account in the portal RRS feed

• Question

• As the title says.  It does not show an option for the archive tier.
    Friday, December 15, 2017 5:45 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

Make sure you are in a region that currently have the support for Archive tier. 

You pick the Archive access tier in the Blob properties in the created storage account.Not when creating the storage account it self.   

https://azure.microsoft.com/sv-se/blog/announcing-the-public-preview-of-azure-archive-blob-storage-and-blob-level-tiering/

• Proposed as answer by T_Vuorenmaa Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by T_Vuorenmaa Friday, December 22, 2017 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by jessestarrphoto Friday, December 22, 2017 5:05 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi, 

For tiering multiple blobs at the same time your only option now is programmatically by for example with Powershell.
    I wrote a short post about how to do it with powershell:
    https://tech.xenit.se/azure-archive-storage-manage-access-tier-blobs-container/

Below is an answer from the Storageteam on the question about if its possible from the GUI to change all blobs or at higher level change to archive tier. 
    "Today, you do have to set the tier blob by blob (no option available at the account or container level). We are evaluating this and are looking at ways to make this easier."

• Edited by T_Vuorenmaa Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by T_Vuorenmaa Friday, December 22, 2017 6:41 AM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hello jessestarrphoto, how are you?

In what region have you provisioned this feature?

Please note that this feature is not available in all regions yet.

Archive Storage is available today in 14 regions – North Central US, South Central US, East US, West US, East US 2, Central US, West US 2, West Central US, North Europe, West Europe, Korea Central, Korea South, Central India, and South India.

For more information: Cloud storage now more affordable: Announcing general availability of Azure Archive Storage

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Sunday, December 17, 2017 12:29 PM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 6:20 PM
  • I tried in both West US and East US.  DId not see an option for Archive tier.
    Monday, December 18, 2017 6:11 AM
  • Hi, 

Make sure you are in a region that currently have the support for Archive tier. 

You pick the Archive access tier in the Blob properties in the created storage account.Not when creating the storage account it self.   

https://azure.microsoft.com/sv-se/blog/announcing-the-public-preview-of-azure-archive-blob-storage-and-blob-level-tiering/

• Proposed as answer by T_Vuorenmaa Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:41 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Thank you.  I was able to locate the access tier when I clicked on an individual file.  Can you only apply archive tier to one file at a time? I want the entire container and it's contents to be on the archive access tier and there are thousands of files.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 6:52 PM
  • Hi

Can I set my default account access tier to archive?

No. Only hot and cool storage tiers may be set as the default account access tier. Archive can only be set at the object level.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-storage-tiers

• Proposed as answer by T_Vuorenmaa Wednesday, December 20, 2017 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Interesting.  Not sure what scenario this would be useful in unless you have some weird business where you only store a couple of huge files a year and can go in to the portal to set them to archive one by one.

Seems like some false advertising to even say the archive tier is a legititimate option.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:16 PM
  • Hi, 

For tiering multiple blobs at the same time your only option now is programmatically by for example with Powershell.
    I wrote a short post about how to do it with powershell:
    https://tech.xenit.se/azure-archive-storage-manage-access-tier-blobs-container/

Below is an answer from the Storageteam on the question about if its possible from the GUI to change all blobs or at higher level change to archive tier. 
    "Today, you do have to set the tier blob by blob (no option available at the account or container level). We are evaluating this and are looking at ways to make this easier."

• Edited by T_Vuorenmaa Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by T_Vuorenmaa Friday, December 22, 2017 6:41 AM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:58 AM