Cant login RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed SQL Server 2008R2.  When I was installing I gave "Domain Admins" full access to the server.  If I logon to the server with the SA account, I can clearly see that group exists under the permissions.  When I logon with my account which is a Domain Admin, I get a logon error.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Monday, February 6, 2012 5:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• When you login with the SA account:

1. Check the domain admins group exists under security -> logins (which you appear to have done)

2. Check the 'server roles' page that the domain admins group has the server role permission sysadmin

3. Check the 'status' page that the  domain admins group has grant connect permissions and is enabled

Also check that when you connect to SQL Server you are using 'Windows Authentication'

If that doesn't work, please supply the error message and code you are receiving.

Monday, February 6, 2012 9:13 PM
  • I hate to say this, but I rebuilt the server.  This time not only did I add Domain Admins, but I added my admin account.  However, I've done nothing else different between the installs.  I looked at what you listed above, and everything appears exactly as you have asked.

Anything else you can think of that might be causing this issue?  The reason its important is I have installed this SQL server for a specific purpose. Eventually I will have to create a user account for the company that is installing their custom database.  When I do that, I will be adding that user to "Domain Admins".

Monday, February 6, 2012 10:51 PM
  • I actually just found one very distinct difference between my user account, and the domain admins group.

If I look under login, under user mapping I see that my account is associated with the REPORTSERVER$INSTANCE.  However the Domain Admins group is not associated to anything.  Does that sound like it might be the problem?

Monday, February 6, 2012 10:54 PM
  • If the domain admins group is a member of the sysadmin role it should have access to everything. The key question is what error message are you getting when you try login as you should hopefully be able to reference it against http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx

• Marked as answer by The Phoenix Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:52 AM