Where is Data Viewer information stored at if not in the dtsx file? RRS feed

• Question

• Where is Data Viewer information stored at if not in the dtsx file?

I created a Data Viewer for a Data Flow Path.

When I try to find Data Viewer information in the dtsx file I do not find it.

Where is the information pertaining to the Data Viewer stored at?

This came to question when I checked out one SSIS packaged and debugged something by adding data viewer, when I did this the packagade was "Checked Out". Then when finishing debugging I did "Undo Pending Changes" but the Data viewer was still there. When I compared the versions they were identical...so, Where is Data Viewer information stored at if not in the dtsx file?

Thanks for the clarification!

Paulino

• Edited by Paulino PP Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:26 PM spelling
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I tried to figure out where is this information saved, so I tried to look modified date of files under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS" but they was no information.

As a second approach, I compared 3 version of same ssis package:

1) Version A - package w/o Data Viewer

2) Version B - package with Data Viewer 

3) Version C - package w/o Data Viewer [This one was after I removed Data viewer from version B to make it functionally equal to Version A]

And performed these comparison:

1) Version A   VS   Version B

2) Version B   VS   Version C

3) Version A   VS   Version C

After doing all this, I found that Data viewer information is saved within the Dtsx file.

Below are few line of code that was only present in the Version B i.e. SSIS package with Data Viewer.

<polyline endtypedst="3" endtypesrc="1" usercolor="32768" linestyle="0" linerender="1" customendtypedstid="0" customendtypesrcid="0" adornsvisible="1">
              <adornment percentpos="50" controlid="10" width="423" height="423" side="1" behavior="2" himetric="500" distfromline="175" startobj="0" x="-1042" y="-719" visible="1" allowoverlap="1" usepercent="1" />
            </polyline>

<!-- ============== Another set of code ========= -->

&lt;ddscontrol controlprogid="DdsShapes.DdsObjectManagedBridge.2" left="-1042" top="-719" logicalid="13" controlid="10" masterid="3" hint1="0" hint2="0" width="423" height="423" noresize="1" nomove="1" nodefaultattachpoints="1" autodrag="0" usedefaultiddshape="1" selectable="0" showselectionhandles="1" allownudging="1" isannotation="0" dontautolayout="1" groupcollapsed="0" tabstop="0" visible="1" snaptogrid="0"&gt;
        &lt;control&gt;
          &lt;ddsxmlobjectstreaminitwrapper binary="00080000a7010000a7010000" /&gt;
        &lt;/control&gt;
        &lt;layoutobject&gt;
          &lt;ddsxmlobj&gt;
            &lt;property name="VisualizerAdornment" value="-1" vartype="11" /&gt;
          &lt;/ddsxmlobj&gt;
        &lt;/layoutobject&gt;
        &lt;shape groupshapeid="0" groupnode="0" /&gt;
      &lt;/ddscontrol&gt;

So SSIS Engine just perform the actions based upon the Dtsx tags.

Thanks Prasoon

• Edited by Prasoon Pathak Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dinesh Menon Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Todd McDermid Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Could some one from the MS SSIS team explain why the information is kind of hidden and not in plain xml?
    Why is not being detected by Team Fundation Tool when comparing the files between the one on my PC vs the one checked in?
    To me, if you have a Data Viewer, that should be an item to be considered as a "difference" when comparing the two.

I'm not from the SSIS team but I can tell you the information is hidden and not in plain XML. Its because data viewers are not core-functionality of the package - information about data viewers is required only at design-time. Package layout, comments etc... fall into the same category. All this design-time stuff is stored in a CDATA section (it is in SSIS2012 anyway which is what I have to hand - if I remember correctly the same is true in previous versions). Indeed, in the package I just looked at that CDATA section is preceded by this comment:

<!--This CDATA section contains the layout information of the package. The section includes information such as (x,y) coordinates, width, and height.-->
    <!--If you manually edit this section and make a mistake, you can delete it. -->
    <!--The package will still be able to load normally but the previous layout information will be lost and the designer will automatically re-arrange the elements on the design surface.-->

I have no idea why TFS's diffing tool doesn't pick it up - that would be a questin for the team that builds that tool (which isn't the SSIS team).

Hope that helps.

ObjectStorageHelper<T> – A WinRT utility for Windows 8 | http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson

• Marked as answer by Paulino PP Friday, August 31, 2012 2:52 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Paulino,

It is stored in memory only. The dataviewer is a glimpse to the data pipe, nothing else.

The designer canvas has the Dataviwer not the package. So it will not be in the .dtsx file at all.

Arthur My Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Yeah the Dataviewer works similar to the "debug mode principle", as Arthur has mentioned it is available in the design mode only. A package with a dataviewer once deployed acts the same way as one without it.

Regards, Dinesh

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for the response. May I dare to ask...

If in memory only, then Why it persists when I close the designer or restart the computer?...

Must be stored some where....

Paulino

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Thanks for the response. May I dare to ask...

If in memory only, then Why it persists when I close the designer or restart the computer?...

Must be stored some where....

Paulino

yes, its in the .dtsx file. I don't know where, but its there somewhere.

ObjectStorageHelper<T> – A WinRT utility for Windows 8 | http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson

• Proposed as answer by Jamie Thomson Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Hello Paulino,

It is stored in memory only. The dataviewer is a glimpse to the data pipe, nothing else.

The designer canvas has the Dataviwer not the package. So it will not be in the .dtsx file at all.

Arthur My Blog

I don't think paulino meant "where is the data", rather, where is the definition of the datavoewer.

Jamie Thomson

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:05 PM
  • I already looked in the dtsx file for "IsTrailerRow Data Viewer 1" And did not find it. When I do a compare of my dtsx file and the one in source control the indicate they are identical, thus the information of the Data Viewer is not stored in the file.

Paulino

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:25 PM
  • what version of SSIS you are using?

if you are using SSIS 2012 you can use Data taps, data taps can be added to each data path in the data flow and dump data stream into flat files.

here you can see how to use data taps:

http://www.rafael-salas.com/2012/01/ssis-2012-quick-peek-to-data-taps.html

http://www.rad.pasfu.com

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Hi All,

I tried to figure out where is this information saved, so I tried to look modified date of files under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS" but they was no information.

As a second approach, I compared 3 version of same ssis package:

1) Version A - package w/o Data Viewer

2) Version B - package with Data Viewer 

3) Version C - package w/o Data Viewer [This one was after I removed Data viewer from version B to make it functionally equal to Version A]

And performed these comparison:

1) Version A   VS   Version B

2) Version B   VS   Version C

3) Version A   VS   Version C

After doing all this, I found that Data viewer information is saved within the Dtsx file.

Below are few line of code that was only present in the Version B i.e. SSIS package with Data Viewer.

&lt;polyline endtypedst="3" endtypesrc="1" usercolor="32768" linestyle="0" linerender="1" customendtypedstid="0" customendtypesrcid="0" adornsvisible="1"&gt;
              &lt;adornment percentpos="50" controlid="10" width="423" height="423" side="1" behavior="2" himetric="500" distfromline="175" startobj="0" x="-1042" y="-719" visible="1" allowoverlap="1" usepercent="1" /&gt;
            &lt;/polyline&gt;

<!-- ============== Another set of code ========= -->

&lt;ddscontrol controlprogid="DdsShapes.DdsObjectManagedBridge.2" left="-1042" top="-719" logicalid="13" controlid="10" masterid="3" hint1="0" hint2="0" width="423" height="423" noresize="1" nomove="1" nodefaultattachpoints="1" autodrag="0" usedefaultiddshape="1" selectable="0" showselectionhandles="1" allownudging="1" isannotation="0" dontautolayout="1" groupcollapsed="0" tabstop="0" visible="1" snaptogrid="0"&gt;
        &lt;control&gt;
          &lt;ddsxmlobjectstreaminitwrapper binary="00080000a7010000a7010000" /&gt;
        &lt;/control&gt;
        &lt;layoutobject&gt;
          &lt;ddsxmlobj&gt;
            &lt;property name="VisualizerAdornment" value="-1" vartype="11" /&gt;
          &lt;/ddsxmlobj&gt;
        &lt;/layoutobject&gt;
        &lt;shape groupshapeid="0" groupnode="0" /&gt;
      &lt;/ddscontrol&gt;

So SSIS Engine just perform the actions based upon the Dtsx tags.

Thanks Prasoon

• Edited by Prasoon Pathak Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dinesh Menon Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Todd McDermid Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Could some one from the MS SSIS team explain why the information is kind of hidden and not in plain xml?
    Why is not being detected by Team Fundation Tool when comparing the files between the one on my PC vs the one checked in?
    To me, if you have a Data Viewer, that should be an item to be considered as a "difference" when comparing the two.

Paulino

Friday, August 31, 2012 1:06 PM

I'm not from the SSIS team but I can tell you the information is hidden and not in plain XML. Its because data viewers are not core-functionality of the package - information about data viewers is required only at design-time. Package layout, comments etc... fall into the same category. All this design-time stuff is stored in a CDATA section (it is in SSIS2012 anyway which is what I have to hand - if I remember correctly the same is true in previous versions). Indeed, in the package I just looked at that CDATA section is preceded by this comment:

<!--This CDATA section contains the layout information of the package. The section includes information such as (x,y) coordinates, width, and height.-->
    <!--If you manually edit this section and make a mistake, you can delete it. -->
    <!--The package will still be able to load normally but the previous layout information will be lost and the designer will automatically re-arrange the elements on the design surface.-->

I have no idea why TFS's diffing tool doesn't pick it up - that would be a questin for the team that builds that tool (which isn't the SSIS team).

Hope that helps.

Jamie Thomson

• Marked as answer by Paulino PP Friday, August 31, 2012 2:52 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 1:16 PM

Paulino

Hi there, try to use open source WinMerge, Or check the settings of the tool you are using. Thanks

Thanks Prasoon

Friday, August 31, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Thank you Jamie, your coments make sence. I appreciate the time to explain all this.

Paulino

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:50 PM