none
COM Categories in .NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm relatively new to .NET framework. Until now I've worked a lot using COM (ATL model).
     In COM world it's possible to declare that an object implement some 'category'.
     Knowing a category it's possible to explore a system (i.e. its registry) looking (and creating) for all that COM objects that declare belonging to this category. The category implementation can then be used to detect objects that implements desired interfaces etc.

Actually I've started to work with the .NET framework (c#) deploying modules, versioning them etc.
    Nevertheless I dont know if a COM-like mechanism to collect all modules implementing some interface or class yet exists in .NET or not; and, if not, why?
    Note, moreover, that I dont want to look in every assembly present GAC nor to search some special path to retrieve the assemblies that contains the interface I'm interested in.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:17 PM

Answers

• There is no equivalent.  Solving COM's registry abuse and DLL Hëll problems put a stop to that.  You could use Reflector is you want to find out what classes implement a particular interface.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:47 PM

All replies

• There is no equivalent.  Solving COM's registry abuse and DLL Hëll problems put a stop to that.  You could use Reflector is you want to find out what classes implement a particular interface.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:47 PM

Hans Passant.

Thanks Hans,

nevertheless I wonder about the missing of such a mechanism. Maybe I'm too strictly influenced by my COM-background, but I think such a way to 'found' new sw components installed  on a system is 'good'.

My previous question whas not properly about the existence of the 'same' mechanism of COM categories in .NET, but on the existence of some way to let applications sense the presence of new usable components.

Does it exists some technology, .NET-based, giving a fast solution to this problem? (by example I know the DSS model proposed by MS Robotics Studio, where a new component can declare its existence, properties etc.)

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:27 PM
  • sorry for the quote! it was a reply!

Thanks Hans,

nevertheless I wonder about the missing of such a mechanism. Maybe I'm too strictly influenced by my COM-background, but I think such a way to 'found' new sw components installed  on a system is 'good'.

My previous question whas not properly about the existence of the 'same' mechanism of COM categories in .NET, but on the existence of some way to let applications sense the presence of new usable components.

Does it exists some technology, .NET-based, giving a fast solution to this problem? (by example I know the DSS model proposed by MS Robotics Studio, where a new component can declare its existence, properties etc.)
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:28 PM