what graphic engines are free? RRS feed

• Question

• the Torque x engine is only a 30 trial when will there be a full version for free or will we have to fend for ourselves when it comes down to that? I'm talking high quality stuff though not asteroids and pac man more like half life 2.
    Sunday, December 17, 2006 11:03 PM

Answers

• TorqueX is a trial version of a soon to be released product that will not be free... roughly $150 for the non source version I think and $250 for the source version. Those figures probably aren't correct but I think they are what Torque Game Builder costs of the top of my head.

Other than that, your statement doesn't make much sense as a question. Are you looking for a managed game engine for free? a managed graphics engine? a graphics engine in any language?

There are free graphics engines in OGRE and Irrlicht. Those are C++ engines. They both have managed wrappers though I don't know how well they will play with XNA. Probably not that well.
    Sunday, December 17, 2006 11:25 PM

All replies

• TorqueX is a trial version of a soon to be released product that will not be free... roughly $150 for the non source version I think and $250 for the source version. Those figures probably aren't correct but I think they are what Torque Game Builder costs of the top of my head.

Other than that, your statement doesn't make much sense as a question. Are you looking for a managed game engine for free? a managed graphics engine? a graphics engine in any language?

There are free graphics engines in OGRE and Irrlicht. Those are C++ engines. They both have managed wrappers though I don't know how well they will play with XNA. Probably not that well.
    Sunday, December 17, 2006 11:25 PM
  • a game engine in c#
    Monday, December 18, 2006 6:03 AM
  • This is a free 3D engine actively under development, it's basically a C# port of the OGRE engine.

http://axiomengine.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    Monday, December 18, 2006 10:26 AM
  • I've seen a quote from one of the Garage Games guys saying the XNA pieces of TorqueX would be free, it's just the editor that you'll have to buy. You could create a game based on one of the starter kits in Game Studio Express and go from there in GSE for nothing. If you want to open the project you just created in the Torque Editor you'd have to buy the editor piece. I'm not sure if this is still the plan or not and since I can't get to the GG website from work I can't check.
    Monday, December 18, 2006 1:15 PM
  • What Jim says is accurate.  The engine is free, the editor is $150.  However, the current incarnation of Torque X is pretty much 100% 2D.  I don't think they've released any details about adding 3D tools to the mix, which is what I'm waiting for.
    Monday, December 18, 2006 1:29 PM
  • TorqueX Binary is free... period :)  No worries there.

TorqueX Pro will come later and will cost $150.  With TorqueX Pro you get the source code for TorqueX.

Now TorqueX comes with a 30 day trial of TGB.  If you purchase TGB you can then get a free version of TGBX which will allow you to export your levels to TorqueX :)

Hope this clarifies.
    Friday, December 29, 2006 12:00 AM
  • THE 3D EVOLUTION GAME ENGINE

EvoFx Engine for xna

Friday, December 29, 2006 12:32 AM