none
How to Print Entity Framework Entity Diagrams? RRS feed

• General discussion

• My host and guest (using vmware) operating systems are windows vista. My guest is in a different domain where there are no printers. My guest OS is hosting my copy of visual studio 2010 where Entity Framework (EF) as generated some nice diagrams.

There are no physical printers in the domain of my guest and I would like to print some of those EF diagrams.

I don't understand why my guest OS does not have a default XPS printer.

Anyway, it does not. How can I save those nice EF table diagrams (besides screen capture) on the guest OS and copy them on my host OS so I can print them?

I tried "select all" with <ctrl-a> and then I tried to paste into word pad on my guest OS. It would not paste. I was hoping it would do something like scale it to fit on one page.

I supposed I could buy adobe pdf writer. Are there other cheaper options?

Thanks

Siegfried

siegfried heintze

siegfried heintze

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:59 AM
    • Changed type Fred BaoModerator Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:57 AM The discussion type is more suitable for this case
    Monday, August 18, 2014 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Siegfried,

Because your question is about Entity Framework diagram, I moved this thread to ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities forum for better support.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Hello siegfried,

>>How can I save those nice EF table diagrams (besides screen capture) on the guest OS and copy them on my host OS so I can print them?

Is that both of your host and guest computer have the project with an edmx item? I assume that the edmx item exists in both two computers. Then you could open the edmx file which locates in your guest computer with XML Editor and copy all the content and save them to a text file, and then you also need to copy the content of YourModel.edmx.diagram and save them to a text file.

And copy the two text files your host computer and cover the comtent of the edmx file and

YourModel.edmx.diagram which locate in your host computer.

Or using an easier way, just to copy the YourModel.edmx and YourModel.edmx.diagram files from your guest computer and paste them to the application folder to cover original files in your host computer.

Please let me know freely if I misunderstand you.

Best Regards,

Fred.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:40 AM
  • Why don't you just use the print-key and MS Paint to save an image file type, or you can use use the Snipping Tool on the O/S to capture the screen and save it to an image file type so you can print the image to a computer?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:21 PM
  • darnold:

That would be a bit tedious! This has hundreds of tables. I was hoping for an easier solution.

Fred:

Unfortunately, I don' t have a second license to install visual studio on the host computer too.

Siegfried

siegfried heintze

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:44 PM