none
Deployment of different version of the same VSTO add-in RRS feed

• Question

• My company creates a VSTO add-in for Excel. We are about the distribute a new version of our application and we wish to make it possible for users to keep the old version of the Add-in when installing the new version.

What is the preferred way to name the registry key in that case?

I understand the the default naming scheme of the registry key should be COMPANYNAME.ADDINNAME that only allows one version at a time. Should we use COMPANYNAME.ADDINNAME.versionnumber in order to have side by side installations of add-ins?

Thanks

Lars

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Lars,

Base on my understanding, you want to install the different version of the same add-in.

And you want to install the new version of add-in by modify the registry entries. Did you mean modify the assemble name like below figure:

If so, you can install the different version of add-in side by side, and the new version will behave like a new add-in.

Best Regards

Fei

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:16 PM