none
Excel Web App support for Task Pane app? RRS feed

• Question

• The MSDN documentation for the Apps for Office platform says that Task Pane apps are supported on the Excel Web App.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj220082.aspx

Yet elsewhere it is said that it is not actually supported.    The platform is clearly geared towards support for multiple client devices, so I am confused.  What is the current situation, and what is the roadmap?  Also, please clarify the SkyDrive aspect.

Thanks

Eron Wright - Azure Services Developer Portal Team

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Eron,

Task panes apps are supported in the Excel Web App on O365 -- provided the app is already in the document.  Currently, there is no way to add a new app to the document.  If you're building an app using our "Napa" tooling, however, Napa will create a document with the app embedded for debugging.  This is also currently the case for content apps.

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think task pane app is not supported on Excel Web App yet.
    I have verified that content app works on Excel Web App(e.g.: http://www.ka-net.org/blog/?p=2940 ),
    but I couldn't verified task pane app.
    it may be support in the future??

Best regards,
    kinuasa
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Hi Eron,

Task panes apps are supported in the Excel Web App on O365 -- provided the app is already in the document.  Currently, there is no way to add a new app to the document.  If you're building an app using our "Napa" tooling, however, Napa will create a document with the app embedded for debugging.  This is also currently the case for content apps.

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:47 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Task panes apps are supported in the Excel Web App on O365 -- provided the app is already in the document.  Currently, there is no way to add a new app to the document. 

I didn't know that!
    thanks,

kinuasa

Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:22 AM