none
Can use use multiple Kinects? RRS feed

• Question

• This isn't authoritative by any means since I really have no idea what I'm doing. If you go into device manager and look under USB you should see one or more entries with "Host Controller" as part of the name. I believe you can connect as many Kinects as you have controllers.

You can tell which controller a Kinect is plugged into using Performance Monitor. Under USB for the counters is Isochronous Bytes/sec and under instances for that is the controllers. Run an app using the color and/or depth streams and you'll see that number shoot up for the controller it's on. 640x480 color and 320x240 depth is about 22 million bytes/sec.

The only way I could get two Kinects to run is plugging them into differant controllers. Otherwise the second one got an error on the Kinect Camera. I was a little concerned I wouldn't be able to use it. Playing around I found this. Hopefully if anyone else tries a second one this will give them a little help figuring out how to get them both working.

If anyone has any clearification I would appreciate it.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Your intuition about having to connect each Kinect to a separate USB controller is correct. This is covered as issue 5 in the NUI forum FAQ (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdknuiapi/thread/4da8c75e-9aad-4dc3-bd83-d77ab4cd2f82), but I just saw that it's not in the general discussion forum FAQ, so I will add it there.

Thanks for the post,
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:53 PM
  • I missed the faq, thanks for pointing that out. The documentation, I believe, said they need to be plugged into differant hubs. It wasn't so much the documentation using the wrong term as much as the terms meaning nothing to me. So the post was more what do you do on the computer to check whether you can connect more than one device and where you need to physically plug them in at.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:27 PM