Access stops working when I try to open a large table RRS feed

• Question

• I was recently upgraded from a Dell 620 running XP to a Dell 790 running Windows 7. Since the swap, I have been having issues opening up the primary table in our access database. There are about four other people who are in and out of it and no one else is having an issue except for me.

I am able to open access and run smaller, basic queries, but when I try to launch the big table (with about 35K records) it will start to run the query, stall out about 2/3rds of the way in, then ten minutes later error out and say "Microsoft Office Access has stopped working"

I can, however, get it to open very seldomly, and it seems to only work for me on a Monday morning (when everything has been shut down for the weekend) and the other day when the night before a near-by lightning strike shut down our servers for a little while. I have had all the techs in the office check codes, links, etc and no one can figure out why my computer is refusing to open up this table.

Oh, also, on the rare occassions I am able to open up the table, I can manipulate the cells within it with no problems, but if I try sorting the table by one column or another it errors out again and I get kicked out of the system (and probably cant get back into the table until the following week)

Here are the problem details that come up:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: MSACCESS.EXE

Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014

Application Timestamp: 4542815c

Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.6195

Fault Module Timestamp: 4dcddbf3

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000172d7

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• Do you have the latest service pack for Access and SP1 for Win7? If not try installing them. Have you run a compact and repair on the Forms database and the data database? If not, do so at least monthly, preferably weekly.

What memory do you have in your PC?

If you only have one .mdb file, I recommend splitting them into a .mdb with all Forms and code and one .mdb with all data and Queries. Each user should have their own copy of the Forms db and be linked to the shared data db.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:03 AM