Can I play Football Manager in Windows 8 Beta and will I be able to revert to Windows 7?

Question

• I am thinking about getting the windows 8 beta, and have two questions. 1: Will I be able to play Football Manager on it and 2: Will I be able to revert to Windows 7 if I had it pre-installed on my laptop?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:15 PM

Answers

• To answer your questions:

1. Probably. If it works on Windows 7, it should work in Windows 8, though compatibility is not perfect. If it doesn't work in Windows 7, it will definitely not work in Windows 8.

2. The Windows 8 beta has not been released yet (the product is in developer preview form), so I can't say for certain, but my guess is that you will not be able to perform an upgrade installation to Windows 8 and uninstall it successfully. Even if it is possible, I wouldn't try it, because unexpected problems could occur. If you are interested in installing the Windows Developer Preview (or the beta when it is released) on your laptop, you should set up a dual-boot configuration.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:23 PM

All replies

• To answer your questions:

1. Probably. If it works on Windows 7, it should work in Windows 8, though compatibility is not perfect. If it doesn't work in Windows 7, it will definitely not work in Windows 8.

2. The Windows 8 beta has not been released yet (the product is in developer preview form), so I can't say for certain, but my guess is that you will not be able to perform an upgrade installation to Windows 8 and uninstall it successfully. Even if it is possible, I wouldn't try it, because unexpected problems could occur. If you are interested in installing the Windows Developer Preview (or the beta when it is released) on your laptop, you should set up a dual-boot configuration.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:23 PM
  • At least you are wise in thinking of the consequences of installing beta software. Many have not it seems and have been caught out. Do not depend on whatever repair or reinstallation arrangements your laptop has.

Your best bet is to buy a new hard drive. Remove the W7 hard drive and keep 'as is' until you need it. Use the new drive for W8 beta. This way you can use either whenever you wish. Copy any data you need from one to the other using a flash drive.

Alternatively, use Acronis or some other software to backup a disc image of the W7 hard drive to an external USB drive. Also backup user files. When you have finished with W8 beta (it will come to an end at some time) back up the user files. Install the W7 disc image and update the user files from the W8 user files backup.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Hello arnour797,

There are other options if you want to install Windows Developer Preview on your Windows 7 system.
    You can choose to do a dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows Developer Preview.
    If you do a dual boot, be sure you allow at least 20 GB for the install and use a custom install of Windows Developer Preview so you can choose the partition
    that you want to install it on.

You can also choose to install in a virtual scenario. Virtual PC is not currently working with Windows Developer Preview but you can
    use Hper-V, or Virtual Box and keep your Windows 7 install.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Friday, January 27, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Unless circumstances have changed, I would recommend against using VirtualBox to run Windows 8. I have tried it, and it does not run well; Windows 8 ran slowly and the integration components were incompatible with Windows 8. If you are interested in accurately testing Windows 8, you should run it on real hardware. It makes a huge difference.

Also, Windows 7 does not support Hyper-V.

I have not tried running Windows 8 VMWare Workstation.

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:23 AM