none
Trying to Validate information between textbox and Database RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a login form that will check for non entered data. That all works fine. Though when it gets to the database query part it seems to break almost instantly. I believe I coded everything right  though I'm leaning towards the notion that I missed something. Here is the coding so far.

Private Sub btnLogin_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnLogin.Click

If String.IsNullOrEmpty(txtUser.Text) And String.IsNullOrEmpty(txtPass.Text) Then

MsgBox("Please enter login information", MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Validation")
                txtUser.BackColor = Color.Red
                txtPass.BackColor = Color.Red
                txtUser.Focus()

ElseIf String.IsNullOrEmpty(txtUser.Text) Then

MsgBox("Please enter User Name", MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Validation")
                txtPass.Clear()
                txtUser.Focus()

ElseIf String.IsNullOrEmpty(txtPass.Text) Then

MsgBox("Please enter Password", MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Validation")
                txtPass.Focus()

Else

The Underlined and bolded text is where the exception is being thrown. The exception states that the format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 34.
                Dim con As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;C:\Users\bruce\Documents\PData.mdb_be.accdb")

Dim cmd As OleDbCommand = New OleDbCommand( _
                                          "SELECT * FROM Passwords WHERE User Name= '" & _
                           txtUser.Text & "' and Password = ' " & txtPass.Text & "'", con)
                con.Open()
                Dim sdr As OleDbDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader()

If (sdr.Read() = True) Then
                    Me.Hide()
                    ADI.Show()
                Else
                    MessageBox.Show("Invalid user name or Password!")
                    txtUser.Clear()
                    txtPass.Clear()
                    txtUser.Focus()
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

I hope someone can help me shed some light on this issue.

Thank You

• Edited by deagonphi Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:10 PM

All replies

• I am creating a login form that will check for non entered data. That all works fine. Though when it gets to the database query part it seems to break almost instantly. I believe I coded everything right  though I'm leaning towards the notion that I missed something. Here is the coding so far.

Private Sub btnLogin_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnLogin.Click

If String.IsNullOrEmpty(txtUser.Text) And String.IsNullOrEmpty(txtPass.Text) Then

txtUser.Focus()

txtPass.Clear()
                txtUser.Focus()

txtPass.Focus()

Else

Dim con As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;C:\Users\bruce\Documents\PData.mdb_be.accdb")

con.Open()

Me.Hide()
                    ADI.Show()
                Else
                    txtUser.Clear()
                    txtPass.Clear()
                    txtUser.Focus()
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

I hope someone can help me shed some light on this issue. If there is no issue with it please let me know for their may be an issue that I have to resolve internally.

Thank You

The Underlined and bolded text is where the exception is being thrown. The exception states that the format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 34.

• Edited by deagonphi Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:49 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 2:01 PM

txtUser.Focus()

txtPass.Clear()
                txtUser.Focus()

txtPass.Focus()

Else

con.Open()

Me.Hide()
                    ADI.Show()
                Else
                    txtUser.Clear()
                    txtPass.Clear()
                    txtUser.Focus()
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

I hope someone can help me shed some light on this issue.

Thank You

Hi

Please share the error you are getting and the line of code where you get the error.

If you place breakpoints and run the code in debug mode you can get the location easily

Cheers

shasur

http://www.vbadud.blogspot.com http://www.dotnetdud.blogspot.com

Monday, May 27, 2013 4:53 AM
  • I have added a statement to the original post stateing where the exception is getting thrown.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:56 AM