none
Visual Studio 2013 since upgrading to Windows 10 can't open binary files

Question

• I am having an issue with Visual Studio since upgrading to Windows 10 that I was wondering if anyone else has had or if they know how to get around it.
    If I try to open up a binary file in Visual Studio 2013 using File=>Open=>File OR I drag the file from the Windows Explorer to a running instance of Visual Studio I get prompted with the following dialog:

<account not verified and can't show picture>

If I try to browse to visual studio and pick it, it just opens another instance of Visual Studio and gives this error:

<account not verified and can't show picture>

Any idea why this is happening and/or how to get around it.  Before it was so easy I would just drag the file and it would open it in binary in Visual Studio.

Thanks!
    Friday, April 8, 2016 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris0425,

Please tell us the detailed error message. You also can upload the screen to OneDrive and then share the link here (past the link as text). It can help us understanding your problem.

Please try add this file to one of your solution and then right-click it to choose "Open with..." to select the default Binary Editor for this file.

Then please check whether your Visual Studio 2013 has installed the latest update. If not, please download and install from below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48129

If the problem still exist, please try reset/repair your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Chris0425 Monday, April 11, 2016 3:49 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 7:26 AM
  • I do have the latest version.  When I check the about box it says Update 5.

Here is what it is interesting.   I followed your steps and added the file to the solution and I chose Open With and picked Binary Editor and it opened fine.  But I noticed something my dialog looked different than yours and I noticed that JSON editor was selected as the default.  I changed Binary Editor to be the default and now I can drag and drop into Visual Studio!  Not sure why a Windows 10 upgrade caused that anomaly but it seems to be fixed now.

Thanks!

Monday, April 11, 2016 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris0425,

Please tell us the detailed error message. You also can upload the screen to OneDrive and then share the link here (past the link as text). It can help us understanding your problem.

Please try add this file to one of your solution and then right-click it to choose "Open with..." to select the default Binary Editor for this file.

Then please check whether your Visual Studio 2013 has installed the latest update. If not, please download and install from below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48129

If the problem still exist, please try reset/repair your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, April 11, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Here are the two pictures.  This seems like a Windows 10 thing.

and

Monday, April 11, 2016 3:38 PM
  • I do have the latest version.  When I check the about box it says Update 5.

Here is what it is interesting.   I followed your steps and added the file to the solution and I chose Open With and picked Binary Editor and it opened fine.  But I noticed something my dialog looked different than yours and I noticed that JSON editor was selected as the default.  I changed Binary Editor to be the default and now I can drag and drop into Visual Studio!  Not sure why a Windows 10 upgrade caused that anomaly but it seems to be fixed now.

Thanks!

Monday, April 11, 2016 3:48 PM