none
How does the Table of Contents field position each TOC line? RRS feed

• Question

• It looks like the position of the number (if header styled paragraphs are numbered) and the start of the text are set by the positioning/properties of that specific paragraph. But how do we know what type of tab (like ... vs. spaces) and where is the tab located for the page number?

thanks - dave

Very funny video - Reporting as a Metaphor
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

You may have noticed in the Table of Contents dialog that there is an option for right align page numbers.  That is what determines where the page numbers are set. Some items for Table of Contents are built in. The page number alignment is one of those.

If you press SHIFT F1 to display the  Reveal Formatting pane and you have the  "distinguish style source" on, you will see that if you click on an individual line in the table of contents, under the direct formatting, you should see tab stops: and then a measurement, right, leader. That is the page numbers tab.

If you change the tab, when you go to rebuild a table of contents again, it will revert to the original state if the option to "update entire table" is selected.

Adrian

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!

Adrian
    Microsoft Online Community Support

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Monday, August 30, 2010 9:27 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hi DavidTHi808,

What office application/version are you working with? Sounds like maybe Word?

Thanks,
    Kathy

• Proposed as answer by N V Ramana Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by N V Ramana Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi Kathy;

Sorry, yes Word/DOCX.

thanks - dave

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Hi Dave,

The Table of Contents in Word is look for heading styles and then builds the table of contents using TOC styles.

Heading style 1 uses TOC1, Heading Style 2 uses TOC2 and down the line for all nine headings.

You can see the formatting associated with the TOC style by going into Word, clicking on the references tab, click on Table of Contents and then click Insert Table of Contents.

In the Table of Contents dialog box, click Options, and in there you will notice that by default the option is to use the built in styles.

Click Cancel once to go back to the Table of Contents dialog and then click the Modify button.

In here is where you will be able to see the formatting for each of the styles. You can also modify the styles from here as well.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thanks!
    Adrian
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi Adrian;

That is my understanding too as to the styles used. However, the styles in a document I have do not set any tab stops. So how does it know where to set the tab stop both for the text and the page number (it is "1.   Header text ....... 13")?

thanks - dave

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Hi Dave,

When a heading contains numbering also, that can get tricky. Let me see if I can explain it. You are correct that it does not show when looking at the style.

The best way to see what is going on is to open the document. Once the document is opened, press SHIFT F1. This will display a Reveal Formatting pane. At the bottom of the formatting pane , click to check "distinguish style source."

If you click on a line in the table of contents, for example, the first line, you will notice that there is direct formatting applied for the tab stops which gets done when the TOC is built.

When numbering is added to a heading style or a style that is used for the TOC, that is taken into account when the TOC is built as well and tab stops are applied for that as well.

Adrian

Thanks!
    Adrian
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hi Adrian;

From that I can see the tab between the 1. and the text. Thank you on that.

But I still don't see the tab to the page number on the right - where do I find that?

thanks - dave

Friday, August 27, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Hi Dave,

You may have noticed in the Table of Contents dialog that there is an option for right align page numbers.  That is what determines where the page numbers are set. Some items for Table of Contents are built in. The page number alignment is one of those.

If you press SHIFT F1 to display the  Reveal Formatting pane and you have the  "distinguish style source" on, you will see that if you click on an individual line in the table of contents, under the direct formatting, you should see tab stops: and then a measurement, right, leader. That is the page numbers tab.

If you change the tab, when you go to rebuild a table of contents again, it will revert to the original state if the option to "update entire table" is selected.

Adrian

Thanks!

Adrian

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Monday, August 30, 2010 9:27 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Hi Adrian;

Ok, so the page number position is just hardwired to the right edge of the paragraph. I guess I was looking for something that doesn't exist. I guess for a TOC hardwiring the location works 99% of the time for people.

thanks - dave

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:28 PM