Unable to Upload VHD / Use uploaded VHD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I ran into problems while upload a VHD-File to Windows Azure.

The VHD was generated as fixed size and was running fine on our Windows Hyper-V Server.
    I syspreped the Win 2008 R2 Server and tried different ways to upload the VHD File to Windows Azure.

If i use Windows Azure PowerShell (0.6.10) Add-AzureVHD cmdlet the upload fails:
    - Upload failed with exception
    But there is no exception message

So i tried csupload with options -AddPersistentVMImage and also with option Add-Disk.
    Both times the VHD is uploaded to the storage container but while the disk should be registered with repository, there's the error
    "An unexpected error occurred: The remote server returned an unexpected response: (400) Bad Request."

As the VHD is listed and available in the Storage Container.
    I tried to create Image/Disk form the VHD File in Azure Web Management Interface witch failed.
    So i tried Add-AzureDisk -DiskName 'xxx' -MediaLocation 'http://<storageaccount>/xxx.vhd' -OS Windows.
    This fails with message: “The blob is not a valid VHD".

What am i am doing wrong?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:24 PM

Answers

• Christian, I'll send this to dev for their attention. Hopefully this will help out.

Thanks for your feedback.

Patrick [MSFT]

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:50 PM

All replies

• Just tried to upload another VHD from another syspreped VM witch was running before on our local Hyper-V Server.

Same problem with that vhd.

But this time i enabled the csupload logging:

Error Report:"
    DateTime=2013-03-15T04:20:12.9153133Z
    Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceManagementClient Error: 0 : Der Remoteserver hat eine unerwartete Antwort zurückgegeben: (400) Bad Request.
        DateTime=2013-03-15T04:20:18.6094228Z
    Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceManagementClient Information: 0 : ElapasedTime: 00:00:05.7076262
        DateTime=2013-03-15T04:20:18.6094228Z
    csupload Error: 0 : An unexpected error occurred: Der Remoteserver hat eine unerwartete Antwort zurückgegeben: (400) Bad Request.
        DateTime=2013-03-15T04:20:18.6250231Z
    csupload Verbose: 0 : Exception: System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException: Der Remoteserver hat eine unerwartete Antwort zurückgegeben: (400) Bad Request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (400) Ungültige Anforderung.
       bei System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       bei System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)"

I give another try to the Upload of the VHD as page blobs with Cloud Storage Studio.

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Upload with Cloud Storage Studio with the same VHD File worked successfully.
    I was able to upload the page blob wut CSS and generate a VM Image out of it in Azure Web Management Console.

So, why is Cloud Storage Studio working, but CSUpload and Azure Powershell not?

---------
    Update:
    Tried to create new VMs from the image i've created from the uploaded VHD. After some hours i got the Status Running (Provisionong Timed Out). And i am unable to connect to the VM in any way.

Tried also to create new Disk with OS and Run a VM from this Disk. This worked fine. VM Status is running. But i'm not able to connect to the VM in any way.

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Dear Customer,

If the storage account is in North Central US or South Central US, or the affinity group for the storage account is in those two regions - you would need to create a new storage account in any of the other six regions that do support Virtual Machines (or use an existing one that is not in those two regions).

Thanks,

Hope the above information helps.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Unfortunately the Storage Account is in West Europe and so is the affinity group.

So this may not be the solution.

Friday, April 5, 2013 7:05 AM
  • Christian, I'll send this to dev for their attention. Hopefully this will help out.

Thanks for your feedback.

Patrick [MSFT]

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:50 PM