none
ReportViewer Control security issue with Windows XP? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web application built in VS 2008 that uses ReportViewer controls.  I have successfully loaded this application on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008; however, when I loaded this same application onto a Windows XP SP3 machine with the exact same settings as placed on the other machines it gives a request failed error with status 401: Unauthorized.  This error occurs when trying to load the report from SSRS into the ReportViewer control.

Stack Trace looks like the following:

System.Net.WebException.  Message = "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized."  Source="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common" StackTrace:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.GetSecureMethods() at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.IsSecureMethod(String methodname) at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.SetConnectionSSLForMethod(String methodname) at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.LoadReport(String Report, String HistoryID) at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo() at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.SetParameters(IEnumerable`1 parameters) at LogFile.LoadLogs() in c:\...\LogFile.aspx.vb line 61

Is there something special about Windows XP security that I need to know about in regards to ReportViewer controls?  I have been trying to fix this for 3 days now, and I've tried everything I can think of, including turning off the firewall, with no success.  The SQL 2008 Report Server is using port 8080 because there is a previous instance of SQL 2005 Report Server using port 80. I have an appSetting key that points to the required Report Server => this works on every other machine I've worked with.

Any suggestions out there? 

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:58 PM

Answers

• Alright, I've found my own answer.  I was missing the security tab in the properties of my folders in My Computer (and Windows Explorer) so I did not know how to set folder permissions for a while.  I had to change XP to show the security tab and then set additional user permissions on my report server folder.
    • Marked as answer by Carolyn_P Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:09 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:09 AM