none
Can I create touch-panel filter driver in UMDF? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

In Windows 8, I want to create touch-panel filter driver.

My first question is

Can I create touch panel driver in both UMDF and KMDF?

If I could, I want to crete UMDF driver.

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:02 AM

Answers

• You should write a KMDF filter instead of UMDF. This is because in many cases the report buffer from client may contain embedded report ID as input data. UMDF cannot marshal such buffers that are meant for both input and output.

-kumar

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

kumar -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:44 AM
  • theoritically you can filter a top level HID collection in UMDF. it is a bit tricky though. why do you need to filter touch?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by JinYuka Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:40 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 8:08 AM

All replies

• theoritically you can filter a top level HID collection in UMDF. it is a bit tricky though. why do you need to filter touch?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by JinYuka Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:40 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 8:08 AM
  • >why do you need to filter touch?

Because, I want to hook touch event and get touched-coordinates in my touch panel filter driver.

>theoritically you can filter a top level HID collection in UMDF.

Which driver will be the lower filter of my touch panel filter driver?

I think HIDCLASS.sys will be a appropriate lower filter.

I think the following configuration.

OS

|

My touch panel filter driver(UMDF)

|

HIDCLASS.sys

|

HIDUSB.sys

|

USBHUB

|

Touch panel Device

If the lower filter is possible to be HIDCLASS.sys, would you advice me how to write INF file?

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:37 AM
  • why do you want to hook touch events? what will you do with them? your INF will match against a HID\Xxxx hardware ID, make sure to get the device object read/write buffering to match the raw PDO's that you are attaching to

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:52 AM
  • >why do you want to hook touch events? what will you do with them?

When touch event hook, my touch flter driver accesses other specific driver to get certain data, and then, sends data(include x,y coordinate and certain data) to applications. Sorry, I cannot explain detail.

>your INF will match against a HID\Xxxx hardware ID,

As you mentioned, if I write touch panel device HW ID in INF file, does my driver automatically become a filter driver above HID class not function driver?

I'm beginner for createing driver, So would you advice me how to write INF file for filter driver , or tell me good site or reference?

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Hi JinYuka, Doron,

Any conclusion on this? I too want to write a filter driver on touch stack to implement some functionality like palm rejection i.e. filter out some specific touch events.

please suggest.

-Raghvendra

Monday, July 8, 2013 9:05 AM
  • You should write a KMDF filter instead of UMDF. This is because in many cases the report buffer from client may contain embedded report ID as input data. UMDF cannot marshal such buffers that are meant for both input and output.

-kumar

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

kumar -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Thanks Rajeev.

Can you please point me to some sample KMDF code useful for USB based HID compliant Touch controller events filtering?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:16 AM