Which product should I download? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to develop a small windows app that reads a file and prints a report.. In the past I have used VB Express but I no longer have that installed. I looked at Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 but that seems gross overkill. I need free version.  What is available?  I am running Windows 7 and don't envision updating until Windows 10 is released.

Friday, March 6, 2015 1:01 AM

Answers

• Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition may have more features than you need, but I don't think they will get in your way so that is what I would recommend. 

Visual Studio 2013 Express Editions are still available. They are not limited to VB (they include C# and C++) but you need to pick the version that matches the platform you are developing for (the Windows Desktop version for Windows 7 desktop applications).

• Marked as answer by ALL[1] Saturday, March 7, 2015 1:51 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 1:13 AM

All replies

• Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition may have more features than you need, but I don't think they will get in your way so that is what I would recommend. 

Visual Studio 2013 Express Editions are still available. They are not limited to VB (they include C# and C++) but you need to pick the version that matches the platform you are developing for (the Windows Desktop version for Windows 7 desktop applications).

• Marked as answer by ALL[1] Saturday, March 7, 2015 1:51 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 1:13 AM
  • Yes, but why do you not simply try, it cost nothing. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, March 6, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Hello,

In regards to gross overkill, you use only what is needed then it is not gross overkill.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Friday, March 6, 2015 3:23 PM