Downgrade SQL Server 2008 Enterprise edition to Standard edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have to downgrade my SQL Server 2008 Enterprise edition to Standard edition, so I want to make sure there is no impact if I did that

I have two questions mainly:

1-  I use Partition function in my database creation to manage the database size, but as I know the Partition function can ONLY be created in Enterprise edition of SQL Server , right ? if yes what the impact after downgrade ?

2 - Can I restore database backup that created by Enterprise edition to lower edition (Standard edition) ?

If there were other major issues I hope alert  me ..

Thanks in advance 

Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You need to remove partitioning of that database, before you back it up or before you detach it. If you don’t do it, restore/attach will fail.

The way you should do that downgrade is the following: remove partitioning on the database located on the Enterprise Edition, backup the database, and restore it on the Standard Edition instance.

Make sure data compression, partition table parallelism, transparent data encryption, distributed partitioned views are also not been used before you backup the database on the Enterprise Edition instance and move it to the new instance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:38 AM

All replies

• For the second question the answer is yes, you could restore backup from Enterprise to standard as long as they belong to the same product version which is SQL Server 2008

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Hello,

You need to remove partitioning of that database, before you back it up or before you detach it. If you don’t do it, restore/attach will fail.

The way you should do that downgrade is the following: remove partitioning on the database located on the Enterprise Edition, backup the database, and restore it on the Standard Edition instance.

Make sure data compression, partition table parallelism, transparent data encryption, distributed partitioned views are also not been used before you backup the database on the Enterprise Edition instance and move it to the new instance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:38 AM