Change Preview image from blankprev.png to ... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

the simple tasks often seem to be the tricky ones. We have a Site Template in form of an stp file. That's all we have. The site template is installed on the prod servers and appears under a tab called "Custom" in the "Select a template" screen on SharePoint 2007. Customer requests to update the preview image on the "New Sharepoint Site" page from blankprev.png to a proper screenshot. How do I change this? I don't have a webtemp.xml for the template where I can set the ImageUrl. How can I change a preview image for this template?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards

Peter

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you want to change the preview view image for the a site template. As far as I know, when save a site as template.  The new template will have the save preview image as the site template used to create the original site. So you must have save a blank site as template.

In order to change the preview icon for the template, you can modify the WEBTEMP.XML file located: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\XML(Make a copy of this file before making any changes). Change the blankprev.png for the blank site to another image which located in image folder under layouts.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Thank you Entan for taking the time to reply. I probably wasn't quite precise about our situation. The template is already done. We do not want to create a new template. We want to change the preview/icon for an existing template. There is no WEBTEMP.XML for this template.

Regards

Peter

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:59 AM
  • I know you don't want to create a new site template, but it's the easiest way to change the preview image. I have not tested this approach but you can try to insert webpart to the site creation page with code to change the preview image.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Thank you Manish for your reply. I find it "interesting" that it is such an act to change a simple preview image.

Regards

Peter

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:41 AM