none
Cannot access PowerPoint object model when file opened from SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PowerPoint add-in that works with PowerPoint 2007/2010. I've discovered that it does not work correctly when the active presentation was opened from a SharePoint site in read-only mode.

In this scenario, various calls to the PowerPoint object model give the error

Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':

Shape (unknown member) : Invalid request. Presentation cannot be modified.

This includes apparently benign things like Presentation.SaveAsPresentation.SaveCopyAs, accessing Shape.Tags, etc. All give the same error.

While my add-in is coded in C#/VSTO, I've verified that in fact these same things cause the same error even when just entered executed directly in the VBA immediate window.

This is something of a disaster for me, since it effectively means that my add-in cannot be used with documents opened from SharePoint - which accounts for the majority of them in some organisations.

Is there a way around this?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi gary_mcgill,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that VSTO add-in will not work when it open in SharePoint.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Er... thanks(?).

It would be helpful to at least have a list somewhere of the methods / properties that don't work in this scenario, since some do and some don't.

Also a method of detecting whether a presentation was opened in server read-only mode (since the Presentation.ReadOnly property is NOT set in this case).

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:56 AM