none
XLSX - what does <pageSetup fitToHeight="0"/> mean? RRS feed

Answers

• Hello Dave:

Got it what you meant; Thanks !!

To answer your question, there is NO difference if fitToHeight attribute is set to 0 or absent. For simplicity; we just toggle the value if this attribute is already present.

By default; in 'Automatic' mode; fitToHeight attribute does not exist in sheet1.xml. Once we assign any value to fitToHeight attribute (say 2 , 3 or whatever) then we toggle 'Automatic' mode by simply changing the value of fitToHeight attribute from non-zero to 0 value and does not remove this attribute from pageSetup element.

Thanks.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hello David:

Thank you for your inquiry about Microsoft Open Specifications. We have created an incident to investigate this issue. A support engineer will contact you by Tuesday (02/21) to assist further.

Thanks.

Monday, February 20, 2017 12:04 AM
  • Hello David:

I'll look into the issue and get back.

Thanks.

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Hello Dave:

0 means automatic scaling, it's set by excel to 0 when 'Automatic' option is selected in Page Layout as shown below:

This behavior is mentioned in following section of MS-OI29500: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff532354(v=office.12).aspx; excerpt:

a.   The standard specifies that the scale attribute ranges from 10 to 400.

Excel also allow for a value of zero, which is interpreted as the automatic setting.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:06 AM
  • Hi Tarun;

Reading this it seems to me that automatic means any number. Isn't that the same as not specifying it at all? I ask because generally if there's a setting, it has a meaning other than no setting.

??? - thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Hello David:

I don't get this impression 'automatic means any number' after reading the article you shared . If you can point me to specific line in that article; it will help.

Per testing and code review; Automatic will be considered only in following 2 conditions:

1. fitToHeight attribute is absent from pageSetup element

OR

2. fitToHeight is set to 0 in pageSetup element.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:49 PM
  • Hi Tarun;

Posting from this link it says:

in the Height box, select Automatic. Columns will now appear on one page, but the rows may extend to more than one page.

I read that as the rows can extend to any number of pages. Which is the same case if fitToHeight is not specified.

??? - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:58 PM
  • Hello Dave:

Got it what you meant; Thanks !!

To answer your question, there is NO difference if fitToHeight attribute is set to 0 or absent. For simplicity; we just toggle the value if this attribute is already present.

By default; in 'Automatic' mode; fitToHeight attribute does not exist in sheet1.xml. Once we assign any value to fitToHeight attribute (say 2 , 3 or whatever) then we toggle 'Automatic' mode by simply changing the value of fitToHeight attribute from non-zero to 0 value and does not remove this attribute from pageSetup element.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:14 PM
  • Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:29 AM