Step into/over/out events handling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I develop a special debugger-visualiser rof Visual Studio, and I need to send special signal to my program, when there was step over/in/out. But I can't find, how to handle this events (if such events exist). My project type is Visual Studio package, on C#.

Please, help me. And sorry for my very very bad English.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 10:47 AM

Answers

• Can you post some additional details as to why you need to know about these events?

The step over/in/out commands are actually menu commands handled by the debug engine. Theoretically, you may be able to intercept them, but most often these are handled directly by the debug engine.

From the perspective of a debug visualizer, I don't believe there is anything built into the visualizer interfaces that would allow you to readily retrieve a service provider to retrieve the EnvDTE.DTE interface, or other services that the IDE exposes.

But you may be able to leverage the Visual Studio SDK, and the Package.GetGlobalService() API to retrieve the DTE interface.

Then you may be able to implement a CommandEvents.BeforeExecute or CommandEvents.AfterExecute event depending upon your specific needs.

Note, I haven't actually tried this, so I'm not entirely sure it's possible, but if you install the Visual Studio SDK, and add a reference to the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.dll interop assembly, you can give it a try.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi NebirosZerG2,

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:30 AM
  • Can you post some additional details as to why you need to know about these events?

The step over/in/out commands are actually menu commands handled by the debug engine. Theoretically, you may be able to intercept them, but most often these are handled directly by the debug engine.

From the perspective of a debug visualizer, I don't believe there is anything built into the visualizer interfaces that would allow you to readily retrieve a service provider to retrieve the EnvDTE.DTE interface, or other services that the IDE exposes.

But you may be able to leverage the Visual Studio SDK, and the Package.GetGlobalService() API to retrieve the DTE interface.

Then you may be able to implement a CommandEvents.BeforeExecute or CommandEvents.AfterExecute event depending upon your specific needs.

Note, I haven't actually tried this, so I'm not entirely sure it's possible, but if you install the Visual Studio SDK, and add a reference to the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.dll interop assembly, you can give it a try.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:37 PM