none
VS2005 and Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a problem when I compile a project. It runs on any machine tha has Windows XP installed, but on Vista machines, it does not connect to my database which is on a server on then internet, even FTP-functionality does not work, while the same compilation works on XP machines. I have installed the service pack for VS2005 and the service-pack for VS 2005 under Vista.

Anyone has a suggestion

thanks in advance

Günter

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

problem solved...

My computer had remainders of Norton internet security installed, they did not uninstall when I was removing NIS. Since I used Norton removal tool, my apps work .

Günter

Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:35 PM

All replies

• It depends on what version of Vista you are running only Vista Ultimate is the home edition with full featured IIS 7 and you need to configure IIS 7 to run in IIS 6 mode which means you may have to enable FTP if you need to use it. In Vista most web development in VS2005 require admin permissions. 

http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Deploy-an-IIS7-Server/Installing-IIS7/IIS7-Features-and-Windows-Vista-Editions?Page=2

http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2006/09/18/developing-web-applications-on-windows-vista-with-visual-studio-2005.aspx

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:41 PM
  • There is something I dont understand. Why do I have to enable IIS, when I run a client application? InternetExplorer also connects to FTP-sites without any problems and my database manager connects to a SQL server over the internet. Why can't my application just connect as these programs do?

I run VS2005 with admin permissions.

regards

Günter

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

how do you notice that it does not connect? Do you get any exceptions you could provide here??

ralph.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 10:33 AM
  • I forgot to say that when I run my application from VB2005 in debug-mode, then everything is perfect.

running as standalone throws an exception saying that it cant connect to the SQL2005 server, because it maybe down or does not accept connetions.I also have a Webbrowser in my application, which did not receive communicate. What I did now was to remove the "Security" function for the internet information services (something like REQUEST-FILTER, my vista is in german) in windows setup, now the internet functionnality works. Dont know yet, if the connection with SQL server will work also, because I am in the Office and our wireless LAN over there does not allow any connections except port 80.

I'll give it a try this evening. If it's really the case that it works now, I need to know how to configure this request-filter.

I get back with a follow up post this evening

Günter

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:19 PM
  •  (it does not connect to my database which is on a server on then internet, even FTP-functionality does not work)

(internet information services) IIS

The above are the reasons I thought you have a web application but I think you are running the webbrowser in a winform application. You need to configure SQL Server for remote connection, enable the browser service, TCP/IP and Named Pipes so spend time with the configuration manager and the surface area configuration tool in SQL Server.  It also helps if you are running local SQL Server so you can register the remote server.

Friday, January 18, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Yes, I am running the webbowser and my database access in a winform application, but I think, there is some kind of misunderstanding. My application works perfect on XP machines.... I connect to SQL server without problems. The SQL management tool has no problem to connect to the database when running under Vista.

This must be a Vista security issue. Even my assumption with this function in Vista did not help me.

regards

Günter

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

problem solved...

My computer had remainders of Norton internet security installed, they did not uninstall when I was removing NIS. Since I used Norton removal tool, my apps work .

Günter

Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:35 PM