none
Windows CE 6.0 FAT32 is different from Windows XP FAT32? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm working with windows CE 6.0. Using an 8 Gbyte SD card (FAT32) I have found a problem.

Using windows XP, I do following steps to copy files on the SD card:

- I copy one file of size 1.6 GByte

- I copy a file of size 2.3 Gbyte (called chart.bin)

- I copy a file of 2.5 Gbyte (called File1.txt)

- I delete the first file of size 1.6 Gbyte

- I copy another file of 2.5 Gbyte (called File2.txt)

So, chart.bin and File1.txt are non fragmented, while File2.txt is fragmented in two parts: one at the beginning of the sd card and one at the end of the sd card.

Then I put the sd card in my unit with Windows CE 6.0.

If I try to read File1.txt, all works fine, but if I try to read File2.txt, only one part of the file is read successfully, while for the other part I got the error ERROR_INVALID_DATA.

I also did another test: I followed the procedure described above to copy the file on the sd card using this time the unit with Windows CE, not a PC with Windows XP. Also in this case, at the end, File2.txt is fragmented in two parts. But now the file is read successfully.

So it seems that Windows XP FAT32 stores the info related to fragmented file in a different way compared with Windows CE FAT32.

Isn't it? Anyone has an idea about the reasons?

I need to successfully read files copied on sd card with a pc, also in a situation like the one described below. Any suggestion?

Thank you very much for your help and support,

Paolo

Friday, September 3, 2010 8:49 AM

All replies

• No suggestions? Nobody can give me some useful information?

I also tried to copy the files on the SD card on a PC with Linux.

At the end same result: under windows CE I cannot read successfully the fragmented file...

Any idea?

Paolo

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:14 PM