none
Are existing App users notified when you create a new release?

Question

• I can't seem to find this information anywhere. I didn't see any required coding techniques to accomplish this so I assume users will get notification via the store?

How does that work?

When does that occur?

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:18 PM

Answers

• In most cases you don't have to do anything: Apps update automatically by default on Windows 8.1. If they don't update (if the user turns this off) then the Store app's tile will let the user know there are new apps.

If you have a tight version dependency between the app and a server then you should confirm that the app is updated when talking to the server and can then redirect the user to the store to update if needed.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:40 PM

All replies

• Nope. What I do is I put in a check for update button that links to the store update page.

private  async void CheckUpdate(object sender, TappedRoutedEventArgs e)
            {
                await Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri("ms-windows-store:Updates"));
            }

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:52 PM
  • In most cases you don't have to do anything: Apps update automatically by default on Windows 8.1. If they don't update (if the user turns this off) then the Store app's tile will let the user know there are new apps.

If you have a tight version dependency between the app and a server then you should confirm that the app is updated when talking to the server and can then redirect the user to the store to update if needed.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:40 PM
  • ok, If I understand this, if I don't want to force that check (i.e. for app's in need of immediate upgrade) then the app store will notify the people who downloaded my app that there is an upgrade available.

My app is 8.1 and doesn't need to check internally so it looks like I'm fine.

Thanx.

Thursday, January 1, 2015 9:16 PM
  • I do like this approach. I'll consider it for future releases. Thank you.
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 9:18 PM