none
Binding a control array to a dataset RRS feed

• Question

• I have an array of CheckBox controls I am using.  Each control is repeated 9 times.  I am trying to bind these controls to a dataset obtained from a database query.  In its simpest form, this is the code that I am trying to use:

ds.Clear()
    da.Fill(ds, "Data")

For i = 0 to 8

chkArray(i).DataBindings.Clear()
     chkArray(i).DataBindings.Add( _
          New Binding("Checked", ds.Tables("Data").Rows(i), "bolCheckbox"))

Next

bolCheckBox is a valid column header in the database.  When I run the code, I get an argument exception: "Cannot bind to the property or column bolCheckBox on the DataSource.
    Parameter name: dataMember".

Using the same SQL query, I can bind the same dataset successfully to a DataGridView using:

DataGridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables("Data")

What am I missing about binding to the individual controls in the control array?

Thanks.

Friday, January 21, 2011 10:39 PM

Answers

• You just can't do this without using a list type of control, such as a DataGridView. Here's a simplistic explanation:

The list type of controls have complex binding (meaning they bind to both columns *and* rows), but controls like CheckBox and TextBox have simple binding, meaning they bind just to columns and rely on the BindingContext's/CurrencyManager's postion to determine the row that gets displayed.  That's simply how databinding works.

I think you're stuck using a DGV. =0(

~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by JohnZonie Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:36 PM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:16 PM

All replies

• DataBinding won't work that way ... you are trying to bind 9 different rows in your DataTable. The typical DataBinding statement looks like this (note that I removed the .Rows(i)):

New Binding("Checked", ds.Tables("Data"), "bolCheckbox"))

' or, a simpler syntax:
       "Checked", ds.Tables("Data"), "bolCheckbox")

You don't specify Rows in the DataBinding, that is handled by the BindingContext (aka CurrencyManager). What you actually want to do is use a CheckedListBox rather than an array of CheckBoxes.

~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Thanks, Bonnie.  I see I need to study the CurrencyManager topic more.  I tried something quickly but it put the same data in all 9 checkboxes.  I tried

cm = CType(Me.BindingContext(ds), CurrencyManager)

and in the for/next loop, I added a cm.position

For i = 0 to 8
     cm.Position = i
     chkArray(i).DataBindings.Clear()
       New Binding("Checked", ds.Tables("Data").Rows(i), "bolCheckbox"))

Next

This simply gave me the same value for all 9 controls.

(Actually I have a number of control arrays I am trying to bind to the database - CheckBoxes, ComboBoxs (SelectedIndex only), NumericUpDowns and TextBoxes.  The above example is a minimal case.  If I can get that going, everything else should follow.  Currently I successfully bind ds to an invisible DGV and then through an ugly for/next loop set the control array values to the corresponding DGV cell.  I am trying to eliminate the middle man - the DGV.)

Thanks again!

Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:01 PM
  • You just can't do this without using a list type of control, such as a DataGridView. Here's a simplistic explanation:

The list type of controls have complex binding (meaning they bind to both columns *and* rows), but controls like CheckBox and TextBox have simple binding, meaning they bind just to columns and rely on the BindingContext's/CurrencyManager's postion to determine the row that gets displayed.  That's simply how databinding works.

I think you're stuck using a DGV. =0(

~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

• Marked as answer by JohnZonie Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:36 PM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Makes sense, when you explain it like that.  Guess I'll stay with what is working :)

Thanks for helping an ADO newbie along :)

John

Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:36 PM
  • You're welcome, John ... glad I could help somewhat. =0)
    ~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:00 PM