Live tile not working when sideloading for testing RRS feed

• Question

• I have build an app using JavaScript (WinJS) and on my development machine everything works fine now. 

Thanks in part to Jeff Sanders (MSFT) that gave me couple of pointers about another issue.

Now the problem I have is this:

After building a package for side loading, I have to install that package to QA machines. Althought all the functionility of the app works fine, the live tile does not work. If I right click on that tile, I do not even see the "Turn on/off  live tile"

Anything special I have to do to make it work on the target machine?

Thanks

Dany

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:21 PM

All replies

• How are you sending your tile update?

Locally updated live tiles should work the same regardless of how the app is deployed, although individual systems may have them disabled.

Push notifications require that the app be in the store.

--Rob

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Rob thanks for the reply

I am sending the update using this: (where "content" was passed to that function)

tileContent.textHeadingWrap.text = content;
                squareTileContent.textBodyWrap.text = content
                tileContent.squareContent = squareTileContent;
                    // send the notification              
            Windows.UI.Notifications.TileUpdateManager.createTileUpdaterForApplication().update(tileContent.createNotification());

from a javascript Background task. It works totally fine on my development box. (deployed by Visual Studio) but when using the package to install, it does not work. I ran the the app couple of times and nothing happens.

Any idea?

DanyR

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Sorry the other one was me too. Looks like I have two accounts --

Rob thanks for the reply

I am sending the update using this: (where "content" was passed to that function)

tileContent.textHeadingWrap.text = content;
                squareTileContent.textBodyWrap.text = content
                tileContent.squareContent = squareTileContent;
                    // send the notification              
            Windows.UI.Notifications.TileUpdateManager.createTileUpdaterForApplication().update(tileContent.createNotification());

from a javascript Background task. It works totally fine on my development box. (deployed by Visual Studio) but when using the package to install, it does not work. I ran the the app couple of times and nothing happens.

Any idea?

Dany R

Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:12 PM