Infopath 2007 Cascading Dropdown to display error when a user tries to select a different item if another field has data RRS feed

• Question

• what I have: Working with Infopath 2007.  I have a cascading drop down field with 3 choices, an enter comment text box, and a submit button. When a user chooses a selection from the drop down field the enter comment text box appears.  The user will then enter the comment for the one selection of the drop down.  Once the comment is entered the user will click submit. 

What I want: If the user has data on the comment text box and decides to choose another item from the drop down field.  An error should be displayed "you have unsaved data on the comment field.  Would you like to submit? yes/no.  If no is selected then an error "data will be lost if not submitted.  Ok/cancel.  

What I have tried: Rules - does not give me the tools to create the error message.  Data validation - only gives the error but other items in the drop down can still be selected.  Conditional formatting - only hides/disables the dropdown.

What can I do?

Friday, June 5, 2015 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you are creating browser based form then you won't get message box to show ok/cancel button. For you issue you may just hide/show error message based on rule.

One ides is, just add checkbox next to field and make it select when both the fields are entered and then disabled dropdown control so user can't select. At the same time you can show your message as well. Later let allow user to deselect that checkbox, as soon as that checkbox is deselect then you can again enable drodown.

This may work in you case. Let me know in case any query/doubt

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see<br/> Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, June 8, 2015 10:03 AM