Expression Blend Performance RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems with Expression Blend 2.0. The problem happens when i'm editing the template of a control. When i add a trigger to the template and enter recording mode, when i try to use the color picker to alter the background of one of my border... expression blends gets dog slow. When I see the task manager, it appears that Blend is using 98% of CPU. I have a graphics card with support for 4.0 shader model and 2gb of main memory and i don't know why that simple task is so slow in Blend.
    Also, when i try to do the same thing but not in the trigger recording mode, Blend doesn't  slow down. That's really weird!

Someone know a fix? A way to speed up Blend? I will install Vista Sp1 and get Blend 2.5 and I don't know if it will correct the problem but if someone knows a solution... I will be thankful.

Some info: My template is for a button and has two borders, one inside another. Each border has a "degrade" (it's a shade of colors) with some transparency in it.

Thank you so much.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:47 PM

All replies

• Having similar performance issues.  Started out in Blend v1, switched to v2 hoping it was better, but no improvement.  And yes, I've got graphics acceleration, couple gigs of memory, etc.   This app just gets deathly slow while I'm editing control templates.  What's strange is it starts out behaving properly, but once I leave the project up and running for any length of time, the Properties tab quits responding to the selected element in the "Objects and Timeline" panel.  I have to switch from the Properties tab (to say Resources) and back again for it to pick up on the selected element.  It's also slow getting the context menu items to enable when I click the square box to the right of the element properties.  This is a big pain.  I've requested help before with this problem, but can't give out the 100,000+ lines of code and multiple assemblies they're wanting to reproduce in house.  Honestly, isn't anyone at MS using this software for anything other than "Hello World" demos at Tech Ed?
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:27 PM
  •  I've had the same issues with v1 & v2 on both xp sp2 & vista (w/ 4gb ram). I too have posted complaints and asked questions. I even sent in a copy of my project to two different microsoft people and still I have not gotten any kind of help on the matter.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:39 PM
  • I'm not sure if it is related, but when I have a bitmap effect applied and zoomed in, the system seems to have a hard time processing it. I know it's not a fix but if you temporarily disable bitmap effects while editing, or hide layers with effects applied, I found it sped things up tremendously.
    -Mark Weller
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:00 PM
  • That does help, but I know that's not my issue. Blend mainly just seems to have an issue being open for extending period of time. I find if I start to have trouble most the time all I need to do is close and reopen Blend and it's starts performing ok again. Of course, since I work with Blend 4-6 hours straight in a day, I also find I'm forced to restart Blend a dozen times in one stretch. Extremely annoying.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Yes that's my problem too. Expression Blend gets slow if used for some time. I have to close and reopen it but it's only a matter of time to get slow again... And I don't have any bitmap effect on my template, it's a pretty simple layout: it's only one border inside another. I don't understand what happens. I have installed Windows Vista SP1 here and I don't have used Blend again so I don't know if that solved the problem... Anyway if someone knows a sure solution, I'll be happy to hear it. Because I will start a project in Blend very soon and I'll be annoyed if Blend keeps gettin on my way.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I have Vista Business sp1 and still have the problem.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:53 AM
  • I'm experiencing massive performs problems during build. Either in Blend (2.5) or VS2008. Whichever I'm building from, it locks up for a couple of minutes before it finishes building. Then it also takes a minute or two for the Debug application to fire up.

I'm not doing anything complex. I have a page with about three UserControls. I haven't been able to do anything complex because this makes it painstaking to test even anything simple!

I'm running Vista x64 Enterprise.

Thanks

Monday, August 11, 2008 11:15 AM
  • This is rediculous. Blend has crashed my computer twice in 2 weeks. It seems to be hogging my memory.  Word of advice to Microsoft. Please fix the memory problem in Expressions 3. This is insanity when you can't even run one program on a quality computer and have the development program crash your computer. If you want to compete and stay in this market and want people to keep coming back, suggestion would be to find why it is hogging all of our computer's memory and fix it. Otherwise it may be the demise of Blend.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Same here.
    The deeper you decend in a Control the more of a dog it becomes for sure.
    once I exit back out, it clears up

needs to be fixed for sure

s>

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:42 AM
  • More of the same.
    I realize my video card was not designed to manipulate Vector Graphics but the problems with performance have almost nothing whatsoever to do with images or image handling.

I loaded one of our WPF applications into Blend - this ap is nothing spectacular, overly large, complex or in any way, shape or form something that might cause a performance problem with Blend (It sure as heck should NOT at any rate...)

I open a single, simple XAML - and three minutes later I can see the designer.  Attempt to make even the slightest change to the xaml code...and you're in for another several minutes.

Microsoft Expression Blend 2 is being deleted from my machine along with the ENTIRE rest of the suite of Expression tools until Microsoft gets this corrected.

-c
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:40 PM
  • There are some known issues with the WPF graphics engine that make it continually eat up memory every time the window content changes.  Since Blend is a WPF application, it will suffer from these problems - as will all your WPF applications written using Blend.

Workaround for the WPF issue: Minimize the window and most of the WPF-consumed memory is returned.

If this works for your Blend problem then the problem isn't Blend, but the WPF.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the way Blend is performing.  When you run Blend, use the /ExceptionLog and that will generate a text file with the stack trace that you can then send to us to help us diagnose your problem.  As for the performance issues could you please be more descriptive about what you are doing with your project.

If you could provide a project with what steps you take to see bad performance I would gladly look at it.  You can send any exceptionlogs or projects you are experiencing performance problems with to me directly at scoban at microsoft dot com.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I'm sorry, but could you please clarify why you are asking for exceptionlogs and projects from Blend users that are experiencing this problem? The issues my team is experiencing are so general and obvious that I find it hard to believe that you can't reproduce them on your own. You make it sound like this is some strange and exotic problem that you are unable to reproduce, but surely you must have seen this problem during in-house testing? I'm sure you are testing Blend on something more elaborate than Hello, World demos?

I have used Blend for several projects now, both small and large. While I always experience some forms of performance issues in Blend, the severity increases with the size of the project. I'm currently working on custom templates and styles for a complicated biomechanics feedback system for sports, and Blend is so slow that it often takes about 5-10 seconds for ANYTHING to happen whenever I write code or click on a button or menuitem. When switching between Visual Studio and Blend, Blend hangs for AT LEAST 30 seconds. Opening a context menu takes about 15 seconds. All our resources are placed in one big dictionary, by the way.

These performance issues really frustrate me, but I'm even more frustrated by the feeling that these problems are not being taken seriously.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Hello Scott,

OK, where can I found the text file with the stackTrace to send you? I'm experiencing performance issues while oppenning and working with my project. It is so slow and memory consumim (about 400 megs) that I'm forced to go back to Visual Sudio and manually work on the XAML editor.

Regards,

Igor
    Project Manager at INOVATIVA Tecnologia www.inovativatec.com
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hi Igor,

I am assuming you are using Blend 3.

It would be very difficult for us to narrow down the problem without actually taking a look at the project. We would be very grateful if you could share out your project so we could profile the issue on our end (and hopefully suggest a workaround!). If you cannot share it publicly, feel free to send a repro to me privately at unnir at microsoft dot com.

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Hi Igor,

Sorry I should have been more clear, the log is only generated if Blend crashes.  If you are having performance problems your best bet is to send us a project or a repro and we can diagnose that.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:07 PM