none
Customize Welcome Message RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to change the welcome message display name so that it displays "Welcome, John" instead of "Welcome, John Doe"?
    Monday, April 5, 2010 7:58 PM

Answers

• There are different ways to do it:

1. Create your own control template

2. You can have your own class which inherits from System.Web.UI.MasterPage class ans then your master page can inherit from this class. On the master page you can have a div and you can populate its innerHtml in your custom masterpage class.

3. Another way is to override rendering template of Welcome control or replace it control on master page with own control.

http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Having-fun-with-the-SharePoint-Welcomeascx-control.aspx

I hope it helps.

Thanks, Arpit
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, April 16, 2010 6:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:34 PM

All replies

• Change the name in SPP Profile settings.
    ________________________________________________ Thanks Deepak Selvaraj
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Thanks for the response!  I would like to display a user's preferred name, but the problem with that is all of our user's do not have a preferred name.  Is there a way to put some logic around what name can be displayed?
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

Could you tell me, Which and where you refering to Welcome Message?

kapil
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:11 AM
  • I'm referring to the SharePoint  Welcome Message at the top right of the page.  It typically says "Welcome, John Doe".
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:36 PM
  • There are different ways to do it:

1. Create your own control template

2. You can have your own class which inherits from System.Web.UI.MasterPage class ans then your master page can inherit from this class. On the master page you can have a div and you can populate its innerHtml in your custom masterpage class.

3. Another way is to override rendering template of Welcome control or replace it control on master page with own control.

http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Having-fun-with-the-SharePoint-Welcomeascx-control.aspx

I hope it helps.

Thanks, Arpit
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, April 16, 2010 6:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Hi,

Please note that it is not recommended to modify Welcome.ascx control located in the 12 hive TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES.

You can create your a custom welcome control with your business logic.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:10 AM