Caching Preview: Are the REST API calls encrypted? How to disable RRS feed

• Question

• I need to make the access to cache as fast as possible. My cache runs in a co-located role

Here is my configuration block:

<dataCacheClients>
        <dataCacheClient name="default" useLegacyProtocol="false" maxConnectionsToServer="4">
          <autoDiscover isEnabled="true" identifier="WebRole1" />      
        </dataCacheClient>
      </dataCacheClients>

Q1) how do I disable encryption?

Q2) how to test if it polling connection is working? And what do you recommend to monitor if more connections are needed? (I followed the recommendation about maxConnection = # cores) but I would like to have some health indication that is performing correctly.

BTW I found this forum a great information resource and design tips. Thx in advance,

Uri

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Uri,

To confirm if the connection pooling is working or not, we can calculate the total number of connections as the formula of connection count calculating is different. Please check Understanding and Managing Connections in Windows Azure about how to calculate the connection count based on Connection Pooling enabled or not. To get connection count for each role instance (or application instance), we can use AppFabric Caching:Host\Total Connections Count.

Regarding how to set appropriate maxConnection count, I would first recommend reading comprehensive Capacity Planning for Windows Azure Caching. After your application is deployed to Windows Azure, we can use Windows Azure Diagnostics to capture Caching Performance Counters from AppFabric Caching:Cache/AppFabric Caching:Host/AppFabric Caching:Secondary Host. Some important counts are Cache Miss Percentage, Total Cache Misses/sec, Throttled Connections Count, and etc. For more details, please refer to Monitoring Windows Azure Caching (Preview). Please note that some counters are not list there, so you can open PerfMon (performance monitor) on your local PC or remote to Azure role instance.

For more information, see Troubleshooting and Diagnostics for Windows Azure Caching (Preview).

Thanks, Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks & Regards,
    Alex
    Microsoft Online Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Dino He Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Uri Kluk Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:07 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 2:27 AM

All replies

• For #1, The Encryption cannot be turned off. For #2, I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Hi Uri,

To confirm if the connection pooling is working or not, we can calculate the total number of connections as the formula of connection count calculating is different. Please check Understanding and Managing Connections in Windows Azure about how to calculate the connection count based on Connection Pooling enabled or not. To get connection count for each role instance (or application instance), we can use AppFabric Caching:Host\Total Connections Count.

Regarding how to set appropriate maxConnection count, I would first recommend reading comprehensive Capacity Planning for Windows Azure Caching. After your application is deployed to Windows Azure, we can use Windows Azure Diagnostics to capture Caching Performance Counters from AppFabric Caching:Cache/AppFabric Caching:Host/AppFabric Caching:Secondary Host. Some important counts are Cache Miss Percentage, Total Cache Misses/sec, Throttled Connections Count, and etc. For more details, please refer to Monitoring Windows Azure Caching (Preview). Please note that some counters are not list there, so you can open PerfMon (performance monitor) on your local PC or remote to Azure role instance.

For more information, see Troubleshooting and Diagnostics for Windows Azure Caching (Preview).

Thanks, Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks & Regards,
    Alex
    Microsoft Online Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Dino He Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Uri Kluk Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:07 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Just to clarify, there is no encryption as of yet in Azure Preview caching.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:01 PM