Installing Preview on Nokia 1520 without a sim card RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install updates through the Windows phone development preview app and it is not updating. It starts to install and gets about 85% done then reboots and bricks the phone. 

The Phone is a nokia 1520 and doesn't have a sim card installed, could this be the problem?

Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:38 PM

All replies

• Howdy Michael Jaros,

I was able to successfully install the Developer Preview of Windows Phone 8.1 on a Nokia Lumia 1520 phone that did not have a SIM card. It is unlikely this would be the cause of your issue.

Can you reply with the following information that would help narrow down the possible cause:

• Whether the phone was reset to factory defaults (Hard Reset) before installing the Developer Preview.
    • The date you tried to install the update.
    • Whether the phone was plugged into a charger or not.
    • The region your phone was set to and the current region you are located in.
    • Whether the Wi-Fi network you were connected to was a stable network and had a strong connection.

This isn't the experience we want our developers to have and we're happy to assist if you have any other concerns as well.

Regards,
    Bryce B.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:29 PM
    • I did a phone reset with the Nokia software recovery tool.
    • 5/14/2014 and 5/15/2014 last attempts. Bricked the phone in both cases.
    • Plugged into charger 1st time, 2nd time was not.
    • Its a US phone and was set on US Central timezone
    • Yes the connection was stable. Did notice that sometimes the phone loses its time and reverts back to July 2013 which I think causes some issues. I update back to current date/time after I noticed this.

I'm going to use the tool again tonight to recover and try one more time to see If I can get it to take. I might go to ATT and get a Sim, I have a suspicion it might be tied to Date/Time. Not 100% sure however.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Thank you for that information Michael.

I suggest resetting the phone with the built in reset my phone option in Settings > About before you update the phone again.

The issue relating to the time resetting has been witnessed on our test devices here. It only happens to a specific device after doing a soft reset. It has occurred on various OS updates so it is most likely unrelated to the OS version on the phone. The date (June 2013) that it reverts to seems to be the date the firmware was either created or compiled. Our Nokia Lumia 1020 that has this issue reverts to May 2013. As long as you're careful to set it correctly, it has not been a very big issue.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:38 PM
  • I will try and post back my findings. Thanks for the replies.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:48 PM