replace search box in sharepoint foundation with bing search box RRS feed

• Question

• is it possible to replace the default search box in sharepoint foundation 2010 with a bing search box? if so, how can i go about doing this? (i have the code from www.bing.com/siteowner )
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:20 PM

Answers

• My advice would be to install Search Server Express 2010 and display two search boxes.  Search Server Express 2010 is going to actually index the content of all of your content by opening up Microsoft Office documents and indexing the actual content.  You could add the Bing search box just as you described -- the only problem I could see is that you'd be taking users off your site to do the search.  For example, they'd run the Bing search and then the results would show in Bing unless you limited the Bing search to just your site.

I've seen both approaches, however most of my clients with SharePoint Foundation prefer to use Search Server Express because of the more complete ability to search within documents and respect permissions on documents etc.

Hope this helps.

John Ross
    SharePoint Server MVP | Sr. Consultant SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/john
    Twitter: @JohnRossJr

Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:17 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 12:57 PM

All replies

• What is your objective? Why would you want to replace with bing search box?

To answer your question, you should be able to achieve this by editing the master page and look for this

<SharePoint:DelegateControl runat="server" ControlId="SmallSearchInputBox" Version="4"/>

Blog: Alpesh Nakar's Blog | Twitter: Follow Alpesh on Twitter |SharePoint Resources: Just SharePoint Resource Center | Follow Just SharePoint updates on Twitter | SharePoint Conference South East Asia Singapore Oct 26-27 2010 | Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed | MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration | MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator
    Monday, July 19, 2010 5:36 AM
  • my objective is to provide a web search in addition to the site search. I like the way the bing search functions by giving you a tabbed results plane to swtich between site content and web content. Our sharepoint site is very small and primarily used for web presence. Infact if you want to see the old site, look at http://www.sad13.com

i'll take a look at the master page, but im a lil concerned about that... the html code that the bing engine provides is several lines... do i just replace that line with the code that the bing site generated?

Monday, July 19, 2010 11:51 AM
  • My advice would be to install Search Server Express 2010 and display two search boxes.  Search Server Express 2010 is going to actually index the content of all of your content by opening up Microsoft Office documents and indexing the actual content.  You could add the Bing search box just as you described -- the only problem I could see is that you'd be taking users off your site to do the search.  For example, they'd run the Bing search and then the results would show in Bing unless you limited the Bing search to just your site.

I've seen both approaches, however most of my clients with SharePoint Foundation prefer to use Search Server Express because of the more complete ability to search within documents and respect permissions on documents etc.

Hope this helps.

John Ross
    SharePoint Server MVP | Sr. Consultant SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/john
    Twitter: @JohnRossJr

Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:17 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 12:57 PM