New to Time Tracker and im having trouble resolving a few issues. RRS feed

• Question

• User-122480877 posted

I have been chasing the same thing around and around for many hours now. It all started with this error

Server Error in '/' Application.

ConnectionString configuration is missing from you web.config. It should contain  <connectionStrings> <add key="aspnet_staterKits_TimeTracker" value="Server=(local);Integrated Security=True;Database=Issue_Tracker" </connectionStrings>

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: ConnectionString configuration is missing from you web.config. It should contain  <connectionStrings> <add key="aspnet_staterKits_TimeTracker" value="Server=(local);Integrated Security=True;Database=Issue_Tracker" </connectionStrings>

Source Error:

Line 12:             If String.IsNullOrEmpty(dataAccessStringType) Then
    Line 13: 
    Line 14:                 Throw New NullReferenceException("ConnectionString configuration is missing from you web.config. It should contain  <connectionStrings> <add key=""aspnet_staterKits_TimeTracker"" value=""Server=(local);Integrated Security=True;Database=Issue_Tracker"" </connectionStrings>")
    Line 15: 
    Line 16:             Else

If anyone could help me get away from this error  would appreciate it alot.

Thanks in advance [:)]

Monday, November 5, 2007 8:58 AM

Answers

• User-122480877 posted

The problem was simple. I used a ConnectionString.config file (pointed to it from the web.config) and never uploaded the ConnectionString.config file
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:08 PM

All replies

• User555306248 posted

Check in web.config for connectionString, configure it according to your server name, password etc.

In Time Tracking System, it uses inbuild Membership classes for user creation, updation etc..

You have to register your DB with ASP.NET Membership classes by executing the command line utility in VS prompt

aspnet_regsql, it will open one window, where you  have to configure DB.

Hope it will help you, let me know.

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:22 PM
  • User-122480877 posted

Thank you for replying, There is 2 web.config files. The other being Web.config 

My website is on live hosted servers and i based the connection string on what i have previously done with other starter kits.

Perhaps this one should be different. I have only set up the blank SQL server using the script provided in App data as i was not sure if i needed the typical asp membership tables. Will i need to change I need to change this?

And using the command prompt locally will not do anything now. will it? Should i start over?

Anyway here is my config for SQL as i never understood this in the first place it is most likely the problem. Both connection strings target the same catalog.

<
    connectionStrings>

<!-- Hosted Live SQL Conection-->

<add name="aspnet_startKits_TimeTracker" connectionString="Data Source=p3swhsql-v04.shr.phx3.secureserver.net; Initial Catalog=#######; User ID=#######; Password='######';" />

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=p3swhsql-v04.shr.phx3.secureserver.net; Initial Catalog=######; User ID=######; Password='#######';" />

<!-- End Hosted String-->

<!-- Local Host SQL String

<add name="aspnet_staterKits_TimeTracker" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|TimeTracker.mdf;User Instance=true" />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|TimeTracker.mdf;User Instance=true" />

End Local String
    -->

</connectionStrings>

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:41 AM
  • User555306248 posted

Put only live Sql Connection in web.config i.e.

<add name="aspnet_startKits_TimeTracker" connectionString="Data Source=p3swhsql-v04.shr.phx3.secureserver.net; Initial Catalog=#######; User ID=#######; Password='######';" />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=p3swhsql-v04.shr.phx3.secureserver.net; Initial Catalog=######; User ID=######; Password='#######';" />

Check whether Sql is coonectiong to your application

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:33 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Have you solved your problem,If yes please mark it as answer

So it will help for other people

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:33 PM
  • User-122480877 posted

The problem was simple. I used a ConnectionString.config file (pointed to it from the web.config) and never uploaded the ConnectionString.config file
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:08 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Ok

Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:38 PM