Complete beginners guide to Expressions 4? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just downloaded and installed Expressions 4 and want to be able to edit a website someone built for us (www.livingtowers.com).  I have very little experience with websites but just need to be able to occasionally edit some text.  Eventually I may need to add new pages and therefore links to those too.  Can anyone recommend where to start to learn about this?  Is it even possible for me to edit my website (that wasn't built in this software) with Expression?  I imported the site and opened a page but had the hardest time trying to figure out where to put the code to embed a google calendar.The guy who built the site has since done it for me so I don't need to do that now!Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dee

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:03 PM

All replies

• See the Learning Resources and Reference Sites section of the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here. In particular, check out the W3Schools tutorials at http://w3schools.com/html/ and http://w3schools.com/css/, and download and work through Cheryl's "Build a Basic Website" tutorial. That will provide what you need to know to do what you want to do.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Thanks scott

I've been glancing at some of the learning resources.  I see many or creating new websites but nothing about editing existing websites.  Will I be able to edit my current website with this software?  I don't want to spend the time learning about it if it won't allow me to edit the current site.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:37 PM
  • To answer your direct question, yes you can use Expression Web 4 to edit existing sites but there is a learning curve involved in using this professional-level tool.

Although it has now been completed, you mentioned wanting to put in a Google Calendar, which would  have required a little understanding of HTML code, in order to paste in the Google code for the calendar.

I would recommend you go over some of those tutorials, especially Cheryl Wise's basic web site tutorial as mentioned by Scott.   On glancing over www.livingtowers.com I already found some issues such as zooming text that breaks the layout, one cause of this is by the use of absolute positioning, which from a professional developer perspective, is a no-no.  As you have mentioned concern with, I'm not sure how easily the site will "play" in EW having been designed in the Xara Web Designer product.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

• Edited by AndrewOZ1 Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:59 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:56 PM
  • The basic principles underlying the Web are HTML and CSS. These are used in ALL facets of Web development, from initial creation to editing and maintenance. Frankly, what you need to learn is not how to use EW, but how to understand and employ HTML and CSS. I, or any one of the regular contributors here, could create an entire site using nothing but Notepad.

What Expression Web offers is tools to make the job easier, to make the user more productive, not to make them capable of writing HTML and CSS. To use EW, you must understand HTML and CSS. That is why I recommended those tutorials. The W3Schools tutorials teach the fundamentals of those technologies, and Cheryl's tutorial teaches them as well, along with how to use EW's visual tools to work with and apply those principles. You may take them in any order, and for Cheryl's tutorial, I advise that you download the "urban-houston.zip" assets file and work along with it, after first watching it through.

Editing or creation, no difference. They both involve creating structure using HTML, and defining the presentation of that structure using CSS. Both are necessary, and both are used in all activities of Web development, whether editing or creating anew.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:57 PM
  • In order to edit an existing website without screwing it up totally, you have to know the same skills you'd need in order to create a new website. You need the basics of HTML, CSS, and you need to know your way around Expression Web.

This isn't desktop publishing; you can't just poke around and drag stuff around. You have to know what will and what will not work. You need an understanding of the basics of the Web, to which Scott pointed you.

You can definitely edit your site with EW. You cannot use EW without the basic knowledge.

But first, you said that you imported the site. From where, exactly? If it was the site that lives on the server, you should have Published it from the server to your computer, not import. If you didn't, do that first. If you did that and just called it importing, that's great.

Like all pilots, Santa has to get certified periodically by the Federal Aviation Administration. The examiner checked his log book and the sleigh.
    Then they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in the sleigh and the examiner joined him. But he was carrying a rifle.
    "What's that for?" asked Santa.
    "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you're gonna lose an engine on takeoff."

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:59 PM
  • You publish a copy of your current site *down* to your PC, into a new empty site created in EW.

You edit the site on your PC.  You publish the changes *up* to your hosted site.

I will have to warn you that the software used to create that site (Xara) creates very inefficient code, and more of a problem, bad code.  The site is inaccessible to people who need to view it in a larger text size - which includes more people than you might think, with modern small screen, high resolution laptops.  Text sized in px won't resize in IE, and when the text is resized in FireFox, nothing moves to accommodate it and your text becomes hidden and overlapping because Xara puts things in fixed positions.  (The style attributes postion:absolute and top:(number) should almost never be in a site.)

Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Oh. My. God!

I just took a look at that page, and I'm sorry, but you are not going to be able to edit that in Expression Web. As Andrew noted, that page was created in Xara Web Developer, a toy application that creates inaccessible sites that cannot be resized by vision-impaired visitors. Those pages must be edited in XWD, because each line of text is a separate element, so they cannot wrap. When you add or subtract a word, phrase, sentence, whatever, the line length changes, and no longer fits.

Furthermore, your site is not accessible to vision-impaired users, who resize the text in their browsers to be able to read it. Internet Explorer cannot resize text specified in fixed units such as px or pt. XWD sizes text using pixels (px), so vision-impaired users of IE are stuck with text they cannot resize, and cannot read, and will go to your competitors' sites instead.

Other browsers can resize fixed units. To see what happens in Firefox, for example, open Firefox, then click "View|Zoom|Zoom Text Only." Now, viewing your page, press "Ctrl-+" several times, like a vision-impaired user would, and watch what happens to the lines of text, and to the inter-line spacing. See the problem? In some countries, inaccessible sites are actually illegal. Even here, the retail giant Target settled for $6 million after being sued by the American Federation for the Blind for having an inaccessible site.

Sorry, but that is an example of how NOT to create a Web site. If you don't mind continuing to have an inaccessible site, you are going to have to purchase XWD to edit it. If you want to use EW, you are going to have to rebuild what you have using standards compliant HTML and CSS. You can easily reuse what you have now, just by scraping the existing content. But, you cannot use the existing HTML/CSS markup, which is useless anywhere except in a Xara product.

BTW, I know all about Xara because I have both XWD and Xara Photo and Graphic Designer, which, while an excellent hybrid vector/raster graphics editor, produces this same horrendous, garbage HTML when used for editing Web pages. Pity...

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:30 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Thanks everyone.  I guess I have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me.  For now, the friend who built it can keep making amendments as needed, until I have mastered enough to redo the site. He said he could build a new website for us.  Halfway through, after lots of hiccups that I ended up googling to find the answer, I realized this guy didn't know as much as he said.  By then we already had time and money invested in it and just needed it to go live. Would you recommend EW or another free/inexpensive app to redo it in, after I have learnt the basics? 

With regards to importing the site to my computer.  I went to site -> Import -> Import site wizard and gave it the url.  As I said, websites are relatively new to me and I have got a lot to learn!

Thanks for all your responses!

Friday, January 18, 2013 12:47 AM
  • Dee,

I suggest to try to write the page with a basic editor like NotePad or NotePad++ until you get the basics of html and css down. EW is a production automation tool and until you understand the basics EW will automate the disaster as fast as the success. 

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:10 AM
  • I would recommend you go over some of those tutorials, especially Cheryl Wise's basic web site tutorial as mentioned by Scott.   On glancing over www.livingtowers.com I already found some issues such as zooming text that breaks the layout, one cause of this is by the use of absolute positioning, which from a professional developer perspective, is a no-no.  As you have mentioned concern with, I'm not sure how easily the site will "play" in EW having been designed in the Xara Web Designer product.

Thanks for getting the new link correct Andrew.  To the OP, that tutorial was created with the FrontPage user or someone new to website design in mind.  It won't make you an expert but it will give you a basic understanding sufficient to allow you to work on a website in Expression Web.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Would you recommend EW or another free/inexpensive app to redo it in, after I have learnt the basics? 

>With regards to importing the site to my computer.  I went to site -> Import -> Import site wizard and gave it the url.  As I said, websites are relatively new to me and I have got a lot to learn!

EW is the best editor available outside of Dreamweaver which is not free.

As for "importing" your site that isn't how you bring in from a hosted website. Open a new empty web then go to Site > Publishing Settings and put in your FTP information for our web host. Then you publish down. Importing is for bringing in content from your website or for a site you do not have FTP credentials that you wan to study. Importing will only get what the browser sees not all the site files.

BTW, you learn by creating a new site because you don't have distraction of crap code deal with while you are learning web standards. Once you've got an idea of the basics of HTML and CSS you can then work on cleaning up a site bad code in it. The resources on migrating from FrontPage to Expression Web have a lot of information on working with legacy code whether or it was created in FrontPage.

For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:17 AM
  • Holy crud! I hadn't looked at that site when I answered. It's true; you can edit it in EW. But OMG, don't bother.

If you do what Scott suggests and Zoom Text only in Firefox, you will see your site as most people see it who have high-resolution laptops. Most of those computers come from the factory with the text set to larger; the users may not even know that the font setting isn't standard. Smart phones and tablets? Pretty much the same. The site is broken on all of those devices plus the ones on which people have consciously reset their text size.

Spend your time working on a new one.

And Time Bandit's suggestion is just a distraction; there's nothing to be gained from doing that in this day and age.

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:31 AM
  • Thanks Cheryl!

I am going back to the drawing board, well all these tutorials and will go from there.  By the sounds of it, when I do build a new website I am going to be hard pushed to make more of a hash of it than it already is ;-)

Edited to add: Thanks Bill Pearson.  I was wondering why I would need to write it in Notepad when I could do it in EW.  I did do little HTML many many years ago.  I have a desktop support background so I can get a grasp of things like this pretty quickly.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:32 AM
  • TB, there is no reason at all to write it in notepad.  You can see the code in Code View and in any separate CSS files, you can write what you want there; you can read what EW writes there when you let it, using its tools and Design View.  And, you can make sure you understand what EW has written, each time, before going any further, until you know what HTML and CSS are and how EW responds to what you tell it.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 2:27 AM
  • "By the sounds of it, when I do build a new website I am going to be hard pushed to make more of a hash of it than it already is ;-)"

That will be a true statement, if you go through Cheryl's basic website tutorial, and get the basics under your belt by referring to the http://www.w3schools.com/ site. On w3schools, click on HTML and on CSS for tutorials and try-it-yourself online exercises; ignore HTML5 and CSS3 for now since you'd have to know how to make the site backward compatible for browsers that don't understand those yet or consistently.

You'll see how page layout is done, including images, and you will notice that the HTML in the resulting page, and the CSS, will be *so* much simpler than it is for your current "Xara" site.  The difference willl astonish you.  :)

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:53 AM
  • You are far better off recreating the site. Just for chits and grins I opened your home page in Expression Web what a mess. You can replace that horrible menu with the Project Seven CSS Express menu (tutorial on the by-expression.com site and have menus that will work on every major and most minor browsers since IE 6. Nasty massive bits of overlap with all the absolute positioning used.

Oh, and when you rebuild it don't put spaces in file or folder names. That can cause links to break if the encoding fails.

FYI, compare the source code of your site with http://wiserways.net/towers/ I didn't put the dropdown in but that adds just the code for the dropdowns and a tiny bit of JavaScript if you use the CSS Express menus above and move your styles to an external stylesheet. I also put in a placeholder instead of the Flash which I'd recommend against anyway. I'd suggest a javascript rotator since a lot of devices out there like iPads don't support Flash.

You can see how much easier it is to understand what the code and what it does in my version vs the one you have.

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Thanks everyone.  I guess I have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me.  For now, the friend who built it can keep making amendments as needed, until I have mastered enough to redo the site. He said he could build a new website for us.  Halfway through, after lots of hiccups that I ended up googling to find the answer, I realized this guy didn't know as much as he said.  By then we already had time and money invested in it and just needed it to go live. 

I have actually complained at talkgraphics.com (the online forum for Xara products) about that product, and about the fact that unqualified, untrained people were passing themselves off as "Web designers" using it. You see, when they first released the initial version, they acknowledged its shortcomings, and said that it was for amateurs and hobbyists. Over the years, that has gone by the wayside, and as you can see, people are using it as if it produced anything approaching professional output, and offering their services as if they were professionals. It does not, and they are not. (I'm a member at talkgraphics.com because Xara makes an excellent hybrid vector/raster graphics editor, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer, which I own and use, and am more than happy to heartily recommend. It's only XWD to which I object, for obvious reasons.)

Would you recommend EW or another free/inexpensive app to redo it in, after I have learnt the basics?
    With regards to importing the site to my computer.  I went to site -> Import -> Import site wizard and gave it the url.  As I said, websites are relatively new to me and I have got a lot to learn!

Thanks for all your responses!

You have, in my opinion, the best tool for the job. There is a learning curve, but the only cost is your time. You can leave the existing site up while you learn, and replace it when you're ready. As for importing the existing site, or publishing it down, don't bother. Or, rather, do so only to make a local backup, because the markup produced by XWD is completely unusable anywhere else. If you look at the source code (after you learn to read it ;-), you will find that each line of text is a separate entity, usually a span element (in the early versions they were divs). As a result, the text cannot reflow.

When using XWD, they are not actually editing HTML—you cannot do so in XWD. Instead of .html files, you edit ".xar" or ".web" files, proprietary formats that only Xara programs grok. When you publish the files, the program then emits the html needed to render the page. The only thing that the output can be used for is display in a browser—the emitted HTML is junk markup that would require far too much cleanup to be worthwhile. You are better off simply copying the rendered content for reuse, and saving off the images, and rebuilding from scratch. Seriously.

Seriously, to get an idea of what you can do with EW when you learn a bit, download and work through Cheryl's tutorial. That will get you started, and hopefully, encourage you. But you will still need to learn HTML and CSS, and the free w3schools courses at http://w3schools.com/html/ and http://w3schools.com/css/ are bite-sized, self-paced lessons, each of which has a short "Try It Yourself!" exercise after each one. You can work as many or as few as you want in a session, and use them as look-up references, as well.

It'll take a little time, but in the end you will have the skills you need, and will not have to depend upon clueless pretenders to produce your site. Have at it, and good luck!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Friday, January 18, 2013 4:53 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 4:45 AM
  • You are far better off recreating the site. Just for chits and grins I opened your home page in Expression Web what a mess. You can replace that horrible menu with the Project Seven CSS Express menu (tutorial on the by-expression.com site and have menus that will work on every major and most minor browsers since IE 6. Nasty massive bits of overlap with all the absolute positioning used.

I thought that when I opened it in EW. I haven't opened up the code for the page you re did but it just has a much cleaner feel to it.

I can't figure out how to do multiple quotes and I'm tired and can't think straight enough to sit and work it out!  Back to Cheryl's last post, I even told him, for exactly that reason, not to put in flash.  I wanted a slider, he didn't know what one was, and I still ended up with Flash! 

Thanks for everyone's input.  It's been extremely helpful and hopefully I won't bug you all too much when I do start over. :-D
    Friday, January 18, 2013 5:02 AM
  • I can't figure out how to do multiple quotes and I'm tired and can't think straight enough to sit and work it out!  Back to Cheryl's last post, I even told him, for exactly that reason, not to put in flash.  I wanted a slider, he didn't know what one was, and I still ended up with Flash! 

Thanks for everyone's input.  It's been extremely helpful and hopefully I won't bug you all too much when I do start over. :-D

Don't worry about that. Either one, I mean. As for the slider, I know of and have used one based on jQuery which is easily implemented and does not use Flash, so it is viewable even on iDevices. I will be happy to explain how to use it, and it is free, as in "free beer." ;-)

As for "bugging" us, don't worry about that, either. Nothing gives us more pleasure than to be able to help someone who is taking the right approach, trying to learn the correct way to build compliant, accessible, compatible pages. Give it time, learn the basics, and by all means, if... well, when you have questions, we'll be right here to help you overcome any obstacles you encounter.

cheers,
    scott

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Good luck, and have fun. It may be a lot to learn, but it's not rocket science. Besides, what better way to spend the cold, snowy winter days? Ummm, in Florida...
    Friday, January 18, 2013 5:46 AM
  • The example page that Cheryl reworked for you illustrates what is clean and simple about doing it correctly, and contrasts sharply with the mess Xara made.  "View Source" in your browser for your page, then Cheryl's version.  What a difference!  You could actually understand and work with Cheryl's.  The trick will be replicating the other pages the same way.  :)
    Friday, January 18, 2013 2:49 PM
  • I don't envy cleaning up that site. Frankly, even with the tools I have available doing one page was frustrating enough. There are scripts everywhere along with CSS within the body of the page. All of which makes EW choke to the point where you can't use find/replace to get rid of the spans and inline styles. The simplest method would be to simply copy the text from the live site and paste it into Notepad. The copy it into a new empty web page. Create a DWT with the layout and site branding, then apply it to your cleaned content pages.

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:03 PM
  • The simplest method would be to simply copy the text from the live site and paste it into Notepad. The copy it into a new empty web page. Create a DWT with the layout and site branding, then apply it to your cleaned content pages.

Yeah, I could have told you that. Oh, wait, I did, in a couple of posts above. ;-)

As I have mentioned in several threads over the course of the years (when discussing so-called WYSIWYG editors), I own and have tried out XWD, and have seen firsthand the abortion that it emits as markup. While working in XWD, you are not working with HTML and CSS, but in what appears to the user to be a graphics or page layout program (like working in Publisher), using either ".xar" (for Xara X and its successors) or ".web" (for Xara Web Designer) files. When you save, preview, or publish, the program emits the markup and CSS necessary to render the page, and that markup is horrendous (like working in Publisher ;-).

Every text segment, every one, is a separate entity, which means that text cannot reflow. Inline CSS is used extensively (remember, they don't expect humans to ever deal with updates or maintenance—it's all to be done within the program), and the usual hierarchical containership structure of a page goes out the window. That is why, in an earlier post, I said this:

"The only thing that the output can be used for is display in a browser—the emitted HTML is junk markup that would require far too much cleanup to be worthwhile. You are better off simply copying the rendered content for reuse, and saving off the images, and rebuilding from scratch. Seriously."

And even earlier than that, when I first discovered that it was an XWD site, I noted this:

"You can easily reuse what you have now, just by scraping the existing content. But, you cannot use the existing HTML/CSS markup, which is useless anywhere except in a Xara product."

The point is that the only reason for publishing down the site is to have a local copy, because "cleaning up" the source is orders of magnitude more difficult, and time-consuming, than simply rebuilding from scratch, using a DWT and scraping the existing copy from the rendered pages. The source code itself is absolutely worthless other than in a Xara product.

Cheryl has given you a good example of how much cleaner compliant, accessible markup is than the junk that Xara produces. Don't try to clean up your friend's junk. Just use the rendered content as a source, and reproduce the layout using modern methods, and you will be much better off, in addition to being able to do your own updates, maintenance, and new features in the future.

cheers,
    scott

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Another friend said I shouldn't waste time with HTML/CSS and should just do a website in Wordpress.  I know nothing about WP either.  What do you all think about that?

P.S. I did a HTML tutorial yesterday.  Getting an understanding of it! :-D
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:19 PM
  • Frankly, I think that anyone who uses the phrase "waste time with HTML/CSS" is an ignorant lout who knows nothing about either one. Wordpress is, of course, one option, as is Blogger, or CMSes such as Joomla or Drupal, but they all come with their own learning curves, and may be inappropriate or overkill for your purposes. Among other things, it is more difficult, not less, to alter the stock themes to match your look and feel, than it would be in a standard Web editor for a standard Web page.

If you feel like you're getting a handle on HTML, and you're willing to take the time to learn, my personal recommendation would be to stay the path. Even if at some time you wish to switch to a blog engine, you will need to know HTML and CSS in order to modify the stock themes to match what you want, so the effort will not be wasted!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:54 PM
  • I see no need for WordPress for you.  You have your content - text and images - and you are willing to learn HTML and CSS.  As Scott points out, you'd have to know HTML and CSS - and more - in order to modify a stock WordPress theme: people are actually paid to do that by those who want to use WordPress and not learn HTML and CSS, or learn how a WordPress theme works.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:19 PM
  • WordPress is a great blog. Do you need or want a blog? You've already got a website so if you don't need the features of a blog why bother.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:31 AM
  • Already have a blog that we rarely use.  We need a website.

This was my friends answer

" I will tell you with 100% sincerity it is absolutely unnecessary. The best analogy I can use it is the equivalent of deciding you need to learn the rudiments of typesetting (the old fashioned kind with metal type that is inserted into a press plate) because you want to control what ultimately appears on the piece of paper.

If you simply ask yourself what is your end goal, the biggest purpose you are trying to achieve with this endeavor, the likelihood is 98+% of what you are trying to achieve/display/perform on your web site can be done via WP (or Joomla, Drupal, etc.) without ever touching HTML or CSS and the last 2% that might need to have those issues addressed will be so far beyond the scope of a casual understanding of it you will then need to call in a pro (and people who have mastered HTML, HTML5, CSS, php, asp, etc. are so readily available and dying for work they can be found, literally, for $5 and will address the issue you need addressed faster than it would even take you to understand what it is that you need to learn to even get close to fixing the problem on your own...)

This is based on 13+ years of web site development and ownership (900+ domains owned/rented out, 45+ currently active for my personal use) and the last thing I want to do is reinvent the wheel. Take a look at this snippet of a list of 5255 offers to do work when I searched on "wordpress"... (and could just as easily have searched on "html" or "css" and had the same or an even greater number of people offering to do the same for $5)

Got about halfway through a CSS tutorial last night.  Enjoying this.  Won't be able to write a page without looking at notes but getting a good understanding of it!  Thanks :-D

Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:05 PM
  • I get paid 30x the price he quotes per hour to fix sites broken by those $5 coders. Nobody who has "mastered" the technologies he's referencing can be found for anything approaching that rate. At best you'll get some student who will at least try. At worse you'll get someone who uses Artseer to create a WordPress theme using slice and dice that will break badly if the visitor isn't using the same settings and browser as the "master" creator.

The basic HTML and CSS you need to know can be learned in half a day. While I don't have 900 domains that I've managed I have CREATED and maintained hundreds over the years I've been doing this which by the way I first started doing in 1992.

Oh and the analogy I'd make isn't to a typesetter, it is to kindergarten or whatever grade it was you first learned to write a sentence and to the first "story" you ever had to write in elementary school. That's when you learned about headings and paragraphs then eventually lists. That's HTML - semantic structure. Choosing colors and fonts is presentation which might not have learned until later, probably when you had to do your first poster for school. My kids learned PowerPoint by fifth grade which is most of us probably didn't use until at least college if not even later. 

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:04 PM
  • Thanks!  I will keep plugging away!  I'm enjoying it and excited to do it too!
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:16 PM