none
Subreport Shapes and borders missing from print preview RRS feed

• Question

• I have a subreport that I have embedded into the details section of a main report. The subreport may contain multiple records to show revision history associated with the main report's record. When it comes to printing vs displaying, I'm having a real issue I've spent all afternoon chasing down. I've scoured the interenet and found no results. 

The goal was to visually separate one record to another without doing banded rows. I used textboxes for the 3 fields you see below. (Date / Comment / Emp). At first, I put borders on all 3, but sometimes the comments are lengthy and the textbox grows downward, but not the date or employee. So, I removed the border around those dates so they wouldn't look weird and then i wanted to put a line between the rows. 

I tried to provide screenshots, but I'm new and it wouldn't let me yet. (grrr)

The textbox borders and the line in the subreport will display properly in form view, but go missing when i go to print preview, which is also consistent with them missing from the actual printed sheet. Any ideas?

Thursday, February 20, 2020 7:49 PM

Answers

• HOLY CRAP! I just figured it out LOL. I feel like an idiot. 

When looking at the print preview, i noticed in the ribbon that I had selected "Print Data Only", which explains why i was ONLY SEEING DATA lol. unchecked the box and VOILA. Also confirmed it shows up nicely within the main report's print preview. yay!

• Marked as answer by csmith2222 Friday, February 21, 2020 9:41 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2020 9:40 PM

All replies

• Check the DisplayWhen property of the disappearing controls. Should be set to Always.

"will display properly in form view"
    Did you mean "report design view"? You should not print forms.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:38 PM
  • Thank you for your response. Yes, I meant "Report View" not "Form View". 

Also, I did check that property and confirmed DisplayWhen = Always. I also tried deleting the line and inserting a new one, but that did not work. 

Friday, February 21, 2020 4:00 PM
  • It sounds like you will need to manually insert a Line control at the bottom of the report Details Section after the record controls (textboxes). That will create a line after each record in the report. You can then make the line any color and height (thickness) and width you wish.
    Friday, February 21, 2020 5:05 PM
  • I did mention the line in the original post, but didn't explain it well. I did try what you suggested. Within the detail section of the subreport, I have a line control just beneath the textboxes. this dumb site still won't let me include any images, or i would show you a screenshot. 

I can switch to Report View and see it in continuous view where each record has 3 textboxes side by side. The middle one has a hairline border and I can see the line control underneath. The rows are also banded. 

When I go to Print Preview, there is nothing but a bunch of rows of text. No textbox borders. No line control along the bottom of each record and no banded rows. 

Friday, February 21, 2020 9:38 PM
  • HOLY CRAP! I just figured it out LOL. I feel like an idiot. 

When looking at the print preview, i noticed in the ribbon that I had selected "Print Data Only", which explains why i was ONLY SEEING DATA lol. unchecked the box and VOILA. Also confirmed it shows up nicely within the main report's print preview. yay!

• Marked as answer by csmith2222 Friday, February 21, 2020 9:41 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2020 9:40 PM