Obout grid question, for anyone who has used it. RRS feed

• Question

• User-1387630685 posted

Trying to learn how to use the Obout grid, and I've stared at the examples all morning long. This probably isn't that hard, but I'm just not getting it.

I tied an Obout grid to an accessdatasource and auto generated update, insert, and delete commands. On the grid, I have edit, delete, and update templates.

The update button on the grid has this tied to it:

<input type="button" id="btnUpdate" value="Update" onclick="<%# Container.GridClientID %>.update_record(this)"/>

When I attempt to update or delete it doesn't actually work.

What ties "update_record(this)" to the update command that was auto generated in my accessdatasource?

The examples on obout.com do it half a dozen different ways, but nothing is jumping out at me as the way to do it with an accessdatasource the way I'm doing it.

Thanks

Monday, September 6, 2010 1:27 PM

Answers

• User-1387630685 posted

OK. I figured it out by searching for text phrases in the provided examples. In the over 700 examples of the Obout grid, I was able to find a handful of examples where they used the SQL/Access data source for everything and no coding.

I don't think you give the "relavent code" to those events, rather you pull everything out having to do with scripting and "on click" events. That is where the bulk of my problem was. Most examples do use some type of scripting or event.

If anyone else ever wants to quickly use the edit, update, and delete features of an Obout grid tied to an accessdatasource or sqldatasource ... and not add a single line of script or code, the example is called:  Aspnet_commands_declarative.aspx

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:28 PM

All replies

• User1656225649 posted

you have to give the relevant code to those events of the grid view.

You can find simply by google

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:35 PM
  • User-1387630685 posted

Just google it. Man, why didn't I think of that?

Googled for hours today and mainly what I found was people talking about how poor their examples were, the lack of documentation, and lack of support.

The one thing that has kept me in here this long is just how darn sharp their grids look.

What I wanted was something really easy. From what the examples look like, with all the time I'm going to spend trying to get things to work, I might as well just hand code it the old way.

Thanks, though, I'm not sure I would have ever thought of using google. :)

Monday, September 6, 2010 5:59 PM
  • User-1387630685 posted

OK. I figured it out by searching for text phrases in the provided examples. In the over 700 examples of the Obout grid, I was able to find a handful of examples where they used the SQL/Access data source for everything and no coding.

I don't think you give the "relavent code" to those events, rather you pull everything out having to do with scripting and "on click" events. That is where the bulk of my problem was. Most examples do use some type of scripting or event.

If anyone else ever wants to quickly use the edit, update, and delete features of an Obout grid tied to an accessdatasource or sqldatasource ... and not add a single line of script or code, the example is called:  Aspnet_commands_declarative.aspx

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:28 PM