none
How to create a simple ecommerce website? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create a simple, but operable ecommerce website with MS SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, VB.NET, a simple website (HTML, CSS, XML without ajax). I don't need anything as complex as the Commerce Server. I need a basic database of products, a database of users, a shopping cart system and a vendor frontend to see orders (even an Excel table would be fine).
    I know there are tons of useful tutorials on these technologies, but I wonder if there is any step-by-step manual to create an actual solution for this. (I haven't found any.)

(Btw, anybody wanna join my project?)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi akopacsi ,

If it's a need, then you can get 100's of e-commerce website templates on the internet. But if you want to learn all these technologies, then I would suggest you following:
    1. First decide on what all functionality you want
    2. Decide on the technologies you want to use
    3. Start developing the website
    4. You may face issues while developing, which can be resolved using tutorials or online forums

I doubt if you will get a step-by-step guide towards creation of a e-commerce website in VB.NET and other mentioned technologies. Well, you can get basic tutorials for those.

Hope this helps you!

Sandeep Aparajit | http://sandeep-aparajit.blogspot.com | Mark useful posts as Answer/Helpful.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:59 AM
  • There is an asp.net book written that walks you through step by step to build an ecommerce site.  I think it is 1.1 code though.  Also, take a look at DashCommerce.org which is a .net cart that is open source.  That will give you a good idea of what can be done...and how.

If you need help take a look at ScriptLance.com or getafreelancer.com or elance.com.
    Andrew Siemer www.andrewsiemer.com blog.andrewsiemer.com www.socialnetworkingin.net
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Hope, you get answer of your above question and started your expected project but for those who are facing same issue or want a simple ecommerce website, I think the 'custom ecommerce' is the best solution of this. This isn't any technology but it's a solution that combines all features, functions and necessary tools together forms a website that runs simply and further it can customized according to your need.

With years of experience, we build a same solution that simplified all activities required for ecommerce store and it's e-Smart Ecommerce Suite!

• Edited by Ydeveloper Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:29 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:24 AM
  • It would be tough to create a website with shopping cart system, instead of stuffing you with tutorials, I'd recommend that you start with some templates to learn the structure of an e-commerce site, I do not know how good you are at PHP or .Net programming, so I think you may kick off with simple ones like Wordpress for e-commerce or Codagenic eCommerce. Both of them will provide you with a white site which you can play with and their flexible scalability will definitely fit your requirements. 
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:11 AM