none
.net 3.5 setup & full packages RRS feed

• Question

• - What's the difference between dotNetFx35setup.exe and dotNetFx35.exe?
    - When should I use which?

Thank you.

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:52 PM

Answers

• doNetFx35setup.exe is the light weight installer. The initial download is about 2.8Mb; and when run, it will download and install only the required Framework components applicable to your machine. This is the recommend package to use because this safe you from downloading components you do not need.

dotnetfx35.exe is the "full" english packages. It contains all the files required for any platforms (x86, x64, XP or Vista). This is only recommended for creating an application redistribution layout or administrator deployment use

Thanks,

-Edmund

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:10 AM

All replies

• doNetFx35setup.exe is the light weight installer. The initial download is about 2.8Mb; and when run, it will download and install only the required Framework components applicable to your machine. This is the recommend package to use because this safe you from downloading components you do not need.

dotnetfx35.exe is the "full" english packages. It contains all the files required for any platforms (x86, x64, XP or Vista). This is only recommended for creating an application redistribution layout or administrator deployment use

Thanks,

-Edmund

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:10 AM
  • [Edmund Leung]
    > doNetFx35setup.exe ... will download and install only the required Framework
    > components applicable to your machine.

Am I to construe your reply that if I download dotNetFx35setup.exe to, for example, a WinVista machine, it won't work on WinXP machine?  By the same token, if I download dotNetFx35.exe, can I run it under any Windows operating system?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:45 AM