Making aspx.vb files visible? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1793215261 posted

Hello

I am creating a new Web site in VS 2017. I go to File | New | New Project and choose Visual Basic - ASP.NET Web Application (.NET Framework) and the OK. I then to click OK to the ASP.NET version 4 Empty template.

When Solution Explorer loads, I right-click on the name of my Web project, and click Add | Add New Item and then I select Web Form. I give a name to this new aspx page, let's say About.aspx, then OK, and it appears in Solution Explorer. Immediately under About.aspx file, I have Web.config. In other words, I cannot see a About.aspx.vb file.

So, thinking I need to create the About.aspx.vb file myself, I right-click on the name of my Web project again, and click Add | Add New Item and then I select Web Form. I call it About.aspx.vb. But when I click OK, I get a message from VS telling me that About.aspx.vb already exists.

So where is it, please? How can I make it visible so that I can edit it?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 11:01 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

Click the arrow next to the aspx file to expand the contents.  You should see the .cs and designer files.   Or right click within the markup file and select "View Code".  There's also 3 tabs at the bottom of the code view named "Design", "Split", and "Source" which allows you to switch between views.

I recommend going through a few Getting Started with Visual Studio tutorials. 

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/getting-started/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 12:10 AM
  • User-1716253493 posted

There is show all files icon in solution explorer icons bar

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 1:30 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Click the arrow next to the aspx file to expand the contents.  You should see the .cs and designer files.   Or right click within the markup file and select "View Code".  There's also 3 tabs at the bottom of the code view named "Design", "Split", and "Source" which allows you to switch between views.

I recommend going through a few Getting Started with Visual Studio tutorials. 

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/getting-started/

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 12:10 AM
  • User-1209166642 posted

I'd suggest two things here.

1. Use vs2015 for web forms applications, maybe even 2013.
    2. Learn C# and start using c# instead of vb.

Years ago I did webforms in vb, but once I learned c# I never looked back.

Also at first I DID NOT LIKE the new .net core razor pages.  But since I previously used web pages also, and with

Mikesdotnetting site on razor pages and 4 evenings of testing and playing with it, I now LIKE RAZOR PAGES.

It is a steeper learning curve, but I'd suggest also begin learning.  I like the new model view only idea.

Makes it easier to customize some things.  Well anyway I also tested a new web forms app in vs 2017, and I had trouble also.

Meanwhile see if there are any pending issues on Github, maybe they are fixing the problem.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 12:13 AM
  • User-1716253493 posted

There is show all files icon in solution explorer icons bar

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 1:30 AM
  • User-1793215261 posted

Thanks to the three of you. I followed oned_gk’s idea as that semed the simplest and worked, but also to mgebhard for the useful link. I will spend some time going through it this week.

Regards

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:02 AM