Registering a VB.NET Interop Usercontrol on another developer's machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I've spent an hour searching around and not really found anything appropriate.

For various historical reasons (largely to do with awful coding) the core VB6 application I inherited for maintenance and eventual replacement here at work is always run in debug mode ie - VB6 is instaled on every machine and people run it from the vbp.  This is mostly to do with application stability, horrible old data and issues from lost data if things crash.

As part of the replacement/update cycle I've used various VB.NET built COM libraries and so on, and recently launched into the realms of Interop Usercontrols.  The control work's great on my machine.  However, deploying doesn't seem to work in a design context.  That is, I can get an exe to work on another machine, but not a project.  If I create a new project on one of the user's machines and try to add the component, it's not listed.

The Interop 2.0a redistributable is installed, as are all .NET patches from 2.0 - 3.5SP1.  I've tried regasm directly on the machine, gacutil and so on.  I even cut out a bunch of registry entries for the control on my machine (that included filepaths) and put those onto the target machine with no luck.

Any clues?  Anything glaringly obvious I've missed?  Obviously the reg free install can't work for the VB6 designer to find and load the control.  And yes, I've tried just browsing to the DLL/TLB and tried loading those but to no avail.

Thanks and virtual cookies for the help.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:08 PM

Answers

• Read How To: Deploy A Hybrid Application in Interop Form ToolKit help document. I use the setup project to publish the VB6 application with the corresponding Interop Usercontrol assemblies. Visual Basic 6.0 applications that contain InteropForms or Interop UserControls can be deployed using a Visual Studio 2005 Setup and Deployment project, automatically registering the interop assemblies and installing any prerequisites. Alternatively, you can modify an existing Setup script to deploy and register the assemblies, or you can bootstrap an existing setup.exe by creating a custom bootstrapper package.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 11:10 AM

All replies

• Read How To: Deploy A Hybrid Application in Interop Form ToolKit help document. I use the setup project to publish the VB6 application with the corresponding Interop Usercontrol assemblies. Visual Basic 6.0 applications that contain InteropForms or Interop UserControls can be deployed using a Visual Studio 2005 Setup and Deployment project, automatically registering the interop assemblies and installing any prerequisites. Alternatively, you can modify an existing Setup script to deploy and register the assemblies, or you can bootstrap an existing setup.exe by creating a custom bootstrapper package.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 11:10 AM
  • When Installing the VB6 together with the Interop-Control - Works fine.
    But still now I am unable to register the Interop-Control into a new VB6 project on a different VB6 development machine (Where the control was installed and working, but without VS2008 on that machine).
    So, How do you use this Intro-Control in the new VB6 program?
    Thanks
    ADH
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:35 AM