none
Multiple Storage accounts for vhds

Question

• I need some help to structure storage accounts on a subscription. The storage accounts will be used mainly for azure VMs vhd OS and Data disks. 

Since there is a limit in the number of IOPS for each storage account ( and also in the number of TBs).

1- If creating VMs from images , the VM gets created in the same storage account where the image is located -not good due to the limits . Is there a solution or workaround so that the VMs get distributed in multiple storage acccounts while using the same image for the VMs creation ?

2--What is the best practice to distribute virtual machines with vhds (OS and DATA disks)  betweeen storage accounts,   application types, VM types .... ?

Can someone let me know how you resolve this issue.

Thanks

• Edited by granmorro Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:59 PM Incomplete sentence
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I captured a VM using the management portal, used the Image to create a new VM. I did not specify any storage account name when creating the VM, just the region. I see that the VHD was created in a separate Storage account for the new VM. This happens even when I use a Sysprepped Image.

Do you use PowerShell or any other kind of Scripts to create the VMs or do you create them from the Management Portal?

And how to distribute VMs, would mostly depend on your requirement.

Hope this addresses your query.

Regards,
    Malar.

Friday, June 12, 2015 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please be advised that when you create a VM Image (even if it is sysprepped), the new VM you create using the VM image can only be created in the region the original VM was.
    However, if the purpose is to copy the VHDs across various Storage Accounts or regions, you could consider using AzCopy, Blob Copy API, Powershell or scripting as in the following link:
    http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/10/22/migrate-azure-virtual-machines-between-storage-accounts/

If you need to create a VM using multiple storage accounts, you could copy the image and data files to the required storage account and then boot up a VM from that storage account.

And if you could elaborate on your requirement in the second query, it would be helpful in suggesting a practice that best suits you.

Regards,
    Malar.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:14 AM
  • Hi Malar, thanks for your response.

To elaborate a bit more on the second question and the issue I am facing. Imagine that you need to create a few hundred VMs in Azure in the next few months using a few customized images :

Due to the limit on the I/O limit per storage account ( 20.000 iops ) and because data disks can have up to 500 IOPS each) if you use 4 disks per VM , you can only have 10 VMs per storage account so that you make sure you are not going to have performance issues. In that case you will need several storage accounts. How would you distribute the VMs between the storage accounts, based on OS, based on the application, etc ?  

And because when creating from an image , the VM created and associated VHD Data disks are placed on the same storage account where the image resides, is there a workaround for that  ?  do you have to have a custom image in all storages accounts (more cost for storage )  ? or do you have to create the VM and then move each (sounds like a manual task) ? ? can you move the OS disk besides the Data disks  ?

Thanks

Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

I captured a VM using the management portal, used the Image to create a new VM. I did not specify any storage account name when creating the VM, just the region. I see that the VHD was created in a separate Storage account for the new VM. This happens even when I use a Sysprepped Image.

Do you use PowerShell or any other kind of Scripts to create the VMs or do you create them from the Management Portal?

And how to distribute VMs, would mostly depend on your requirement.

Hope this addresses your query.

Regards,
    Malar.

Friday, June 12, 2015 12:00 PM