Apple Mac OS X font rendering in Windows 8: dream or reality?!

General discussion

• Apple Mac OS X font rendering in Windows 8: dream or reality?!

I think option to use OS X font rendering must be enabled.

Probably even by default. Time for changes arrived!

What is your opinion?! What is Microsoft's opinion?!

I understand people worked on ClearType but Apple Safari for Windows shows you can change this font rendering ways in one click!

• Moved by Rob Caplan [MSFT]Microsoft employee Monday, December 19, 2011 6:24 PM OS question, not a development question (From:Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices )
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:30 AM

All replies

• I always hated the font rendering of Safari. This looks so ugly and blurry for me. So what you like hate others.

Look at this project:

http://code.google.com/p/gdipp/

The gdipp (codename) project is a replacement of the Windows text render, which brings to you the effect of text like Mac OS and Linux distributions. It is easy to use with ignorable overhead, and it is fully customizable.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:07 PM
  • I always hated the font rendering of Safari. This looks so ugly and blurry for me. So what you like hate others.

Look at this project:

http://code.google.com/p/gdipp/

The gdipp(codename) project is a replacement of the Windows text render, which brings to you the effect of text like Mac OS and Linux distributions. It is easy to use with ignorable overhead, and it is fully customizable.

That's funny. I always thought Cleartype to be too sharp and hurts my eyes. Also, it doesn't support Asian font smoothing adequately, if at all. Just show a Chinese webpage to anyone and see how many agree with your opinion.

If you look at Linux today, even their font smoothing isn't following Cleartype's footsteps. Rather, they're trying to be more like Mac OS, albeit with a slight hint-ing. But who knows, maybe you're a programmer type and don't care about Asian font smoothing, or couldn't give a toss about font-smoothing of any kind, since all that's relevant to you is to see numbers, codes and lines.

The rest of the world however see differently. They're used to phone OS. And turn on a mobile device these days, and see how many still prefer Cleartype classical-style text on their handsets.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Not everyone has the same favorite meal. But that's good. Everyone should have its own taste. And I'm German so I don't visit asian websites.

If you want the Safary rendering on Windows use this open source tool.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:55 PM