none
Unable to Invoke XAML Designer, Update 1 Issue?

Question

• Hello Everyone

I am running Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition under Windows 10 and trying to design a UI for a Windows Universal App. Everything was working perfectly before I applied Update 1. However, since applying Update 1, I am no longer able to invoke the XAML Designer. There are no error messages, nothing! Quite simply the XAML designer does not start, moreover, there seems to be no way to invoke it. I have completely uninstalled Visual Studio and reinstalled—all to no avail.

Any idea what might be wrong? If you need more detailed information please ask.

Many Thanks

Amanda

Saturday, December 05, 2015 1:14 PM

Answers

• My first suggestion would be to try to Repair the product.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 > Repair. (If it's an option, it will be listed in the same place as the "Organize, Uninstall, Change, Repair" words). This ought to restart your computer, and you can launch VS again.

According to this StackOverflow thread, if you've installed Windows 10 (a fresh install + Developer mode) + VS 2015 + Update 1 + Ultimate SDK Build 10586, by default, it has no XAML designer available, even via Shift-F7. One of the solutions found over there was to set the project Properties > Application > "Target version" to Windows 10 (10.0; Build 10240), which made the Designer available again. 

Monday, December 07, 2015 3:40 AM