Can not be proven by Windows App Certification Kit with a direct3d component dll.

Question

• Hi All:

I had create a new C++ component with direct3d api in a C# project. But the project can not be proven by Windows APP Certification Kit. The error message is below:

Direct3D feature level support
    FAILED
    Direct3D feature level support
    • Error Found:
      • Application XXXXXXX.exe was not running at the end of the test.  It likely crashed or was terminated for having become unresponsive.
    • Impact if not fixed: Windows Store requires all applications using Direct3D to render properly on feature level 9_1. See the following link for more information:
      Certification requirements for Windows apps
    • How to fix: Ensure that your app renders correctly on Direct3D feature level 9_1, even if you expect it to run at a higher feature level. See the following link for more information:
      Developing for different Direct3D feature levels

How do I do?

Thanks!

Hilda

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:37 AM

Answers

• The error message seems to describe the problem.

Does your app support Direct3D feature level 9_1 or does it require a higher feature level?

Ideally your app should run with feature level 9_1 and enable higher level features if those levels are available. At minimum, your app cannot crash if feature level 9_1 is provided but can display a message letting the user know the app's requirements.

See the links provided in the error message for more information.

--Rob

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:02 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I develop the project in VMware.

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:49 AM
  • The error message seems to describe the problem.

Does your app support Direct3D feature level 9_1 or does it require a higher feature level?

Ideally your app should run with feature level 9_1 and enable higher level features if those levels are available. At minimum, your app cannot crash if feature level 9_1 is provided but can display a message letting the user know the app's requirements.

See the links provided in the error message for more information.

--Rob

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:02 PM
    Owner
  • I develop the project in VMware.

Hi hilda.chen, did you solve your problem? I experience the same issue as yours though I do not develop in a virtual machine environment.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Same issue. I am developing on C#.

My best guess is that since a reference to Bing Map (Beta for RTM) also requires a reference to Visual C++ Runtime package, this crash is being caused by Bing Map since I am only making use of background process, Flyouts and Bing maps in a simple application and have nothing to do with DirctX or 3d rendering otherwise.

Anyway I'll try to remove map and test if that lets me through.
    Saturday, September 08, 2012 10:20 PM
  • To confirm on this topic is that I commented the map declaration in XAML and the lines where I was setting Map.SetView(location) and the application went through the WACK test without reporting above error. The only error I faced was of Bing.Maps.winmd metadata which persisted before and over which we know that Bing Map is still in beta.

Please note that the reference to Bing Maps and Visual C++ Runtime package was still added and I was still doing all the other calculations like MapLayer.SetPosition(pin, location), etc but the WACK test passed the application crash or hang.

Looking forward that with Bing Map release version for Map, this crash won't occur.

Sunday, September 09, 2012 11:18 PM