Direct3D Samples Won't Run w/o Code Modification

Question

• I downloaded the windows dev preview sdk and have found that the samples will not run on my Dell Duo tablet.  The workaround seems to be commenting out the line creationFlags |= D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG; in Main.cpp.

I'm not sure if this is because of the graphics card driver, but would like some insight as to what is going on.

Thanks.

JeffGWM

Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

That generally means that your video card doesn't support a high enough level of DX for SDK Layers. I believe the Developer Preview requires DX10 to use D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG, so if your card only supports DX9 then you need to turn that off.

--Rob

Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

That generally means that your video card doesn't support a high enough level of DX for SDK Layers. I believe the Developer Preview requires DX10 to use D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG, so if your card only supports DX9 then you need to turn that off.

--Rob

Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:51 AM
  • Are you on a Windows 7 or running the Windows 8 Developer Preview?

If you are running Windows 7, be sure to see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663275.aspx

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:58 PM
  • This is in Windows 8 Developer Preview on a 32 bit Dell Inspiron Duo.  The limitation appears to be the graphics card.

JeffGWM

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Have you updated to the consumer preview yet?

I got my Dell Inspiron duo to use as a test laptop/tablet.  I am running now on the Consumer Preview for both development and testing.  I take my running application over to the duo and it will not run.

I then create a new c++ Direct3D Metro app from the dev studio templates and I get a spinning cube, but all black, so I know things are kind of working but not 100% even for spinning cube.

I am wondering:

1) Is this duo not working for consumer preview at all?

2) Do I have bad drivers

3) Do I assume this is the worst case machine for 3D graphics and just fight through it and make my app run on it? (I was able to get a black spinning cube after all, just no colors)

This dup has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 chipset and latest drivers for Windows 7 from Dell.

I thought it was safe to buy this unit since it was listed amoungst other units worthy of Windows 8

www.puttnutz.com

Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:21 AM